Menu

Specific Antibody Deficiency

ktgrok

Anyone have info on this? My best friend's son is 3, and is constantly sick with respiratory infections....snotty nose, terribly cough, wheezing, ear infections, etc. He goes on antibiotics, gets better, and then gets sick again about 3 days after stopping them. They've tried longer courses, different antibiotics, etc. He has rechecks, everything looks and sounds good, and then sick again. He had lab work done and his antibodies for the pneumococcal strains are low, despite vaccination, which seems to be the thing they look for. Total IGG, IGM, etc are normal. She has a brand new baby (a few days old) so I'm helping her research. She has a pediatrician appointment today. I told her to ask about SAD. Seems treatment is to try the 23 valent adult Pneumococcal vaccine, then check titers in 4 weeks, and if not good go on preventative antibiotics. If those don't work, do IGG therapy.

Anyone have anything else she should know? She feels so terrible for him. He was on antibiotics last week, and yesterday had a cough again and his lungs were crackling and full of mucus. Again. He had an ear infection the week before that, strep the week before that, etc etc. 

When my dd got a ton of respiratory infections as a little one, she was diagnosed with asthma and allergies.  Has she seen an allergist?

Sorry, I don't know anything about the antibody deficiency.  I just wanted to mention asthma.  It was life-changing to get that diagnosis, because then she actually got better and stayed better.

44 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

When my dd got a ton of respiratory infections as a little one, she was diagnosed with asthma and allergies.  Has she seen an allergist?

Sorry, I don't know anything about the antibody deficiency.  I just wanted to mention asthma.  It was life-changing to get that diagnosis, because then she actually got better and stayed better.

Yes, actually it is the allergist that ran the bloodwork. Moderate allergy to dust mites and that's it. Asthma has not been decided upon at this point, but I told her to ask about it. He's on singulair I believe, and has had repeated episodes of needing nebulizer, steroids, antibiotics, etc.