Menu

Grammar

Amity

Hi,

I'm looking at more advanced grammar options for my 9 year old and wondering if anyone has a suggestion. We are currently using MCT Town level. 

My daughter started Latin Alive 1 in January and is doing very well and enjoying it. We did about half of Latin for Children A last fall but finally switched because she was looking for a faster progression into reading and translating. Latin Alive seems much better for her. I think it would be good to switch, either immediately or next fall, to a more advanced grammar program in order to facilitate her interest in Latin. Also, she has a low tolerance for anything she deems repetitious, and I'm concerned Voyage might fall into that category. Although I like the 4 level analysis, it seems like it would be good to do some sentence diagramming as well. Should I consider skipping to Magic Lens? Rod and Staff (which grade?) Something else? I'd like something that will let her quickly learn topics she will come across in her Latin grammar that were not covered in MCT Town. 

We are using WWS at a slower pace, in place of the MCT writing assignments. We are in SoTW 4 this year and do the outlining and writing for that book. We are using the ACS Middle School Chemistry, which involves some writing but is not a classical approach. She also occasionally writes summaries for literature, creative stories, etc. She loves to read and has a very high reading level.

MCT is very time-intensive on my part, at least the way we have used it. It would be an added bonus to switch to something more independent, as I also have a 5 year old. My 9 year old has been enjoying the independent aspect of WWS and her math (BA) this year.

She is also interested in French and Greek. I can't think of a way to reasonably facilitate those for her at the moment, so she's probably going to have to wait. But when she gets to them, at least her grammar and Latin will hopefully be solid.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of popular grammar programs wouldn't fit what you are looking for because they are designed to be used as a yearly program. The one that I thought of that might suit you is Analytical Grammar. There is a Jr. Analytical Grammar set as well.

https://www.analyticalgrammar.com/our-products/analytical-grammar/

This is Cathy Duffy's review of the program: https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/composition-and-grammar/ungraded-multi-level-resources-grammar/analytical-grammar

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the recommendation. You're right - a program designed to span over many years might not be ideal. I looked at Analytical Grammar a little bit, and I think it might not cover all the topics I'm looking for. But maybe it would be fine for her to to just encounter them in the context of her Latin program instead (tenses, voice, not sure what else). I think Rod and Staff covers these topics, but it's a yearly program. Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong about topics covered? Looking at the pretest, AG would cover some new material. 

And now I am rethinking the other MCT components. :) One thing leads to another. 

On 3/23/2018 at 9:51 PM, Amity said:

MCT is very time-intensive on my part, at least the way we have used it. It would be an added bonus to switch to something more independent, as I also have a 5 year old. My 9 year old has been enjoying the independent aspect of WWS and her math (BA) this year.

Have you seen the new Mentor Network that MCT is offering?  It looks like it will make his curriculum more independent and less teacher-intensive ... https://www.rfwp.com/pages/mct-mentor-network/

1 hour ago, calbear said:

Makes you wonder what the price point is. I almost fainted when I saw how much MCT was charging for his class ($1,000) for a year.

Oh wow. We are trying to save our pennies now for higher level classes we might need to outsource in the future. 

3 hours ago, calbear said:

Makes you wonder what the price point is. I almost fainted when I saw how much MCT was charging for his class ($1,000) for a year.

These mentor network things are dirt cheap compared to their online community ..... $20 - $60 depending if you need the book or not.  Of course this is only for vocabulary and practice, but still .... Compared to the $1k ........