Menu

all-in-one workbook for teaching map skills in a year

caedmyn

Does something like this exist?  I've been looking at one-a-year map skills workbooks like Map Skills for Today that are meant to be done successively every year for 5-8 years, but it doesn't seem like basic map skills are all that complicated and they should be able to be learned all at once and then you're done with it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 4:24 PM, Aurelia said:

The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, maybe? 

We love this book!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Complete-Book-of-Maps-and-Geography-Grades-3-6/11084027?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000051238&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52940573448&wl4=pla-75130893288&wl5=9051650&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=11084027&wl13=&veh=sem

It's not a book that I would complete in one year, but it is a book that could be used year after year to build map skills.  I start my kids in this book in second grade.  I assign 3 pages a week for the duration of our school year (about 35 weeks).  The lessons get more involved as the books progresses, and by the time my kids have completed the book, they have a fairly good grasp of maps and geography.  It takes about 3-4 years to finish.

My kids have all enjoyed this book.  The pages are bright and colorful, and the activities, especially in the beginning, are quick and easy.