Menu

5th grader behind in writing

my 5th grade former homeschool student currently in school needs help with writing this summer. Don’t get me started on what has gone wrong with teachers. I have IEW writing intensive A and B or have heard bravewriter is good. His writing seems to be all over the place. Lots of ideas but not getting them across clearly. We will have about 3 1/2 months to work. Bonus if it’s written to student because he workes best with written instructions.

my 5th grade former homeschool student currently in school needs help with writing this summer. Don’t get me started on what has gone wrong with teachers. I have IEW writing intensive A and B or have heard bravewriter is good. His writing seems to be all over the place. Lots of ideas but not getting them across clearly. We will have about 3 1/2 months to work. Bonus if it’s written to student because he workes best with written instructions.

I feel it is appropriate to suggest another route: Have you considered hiring a tutor? Preferably one with an English degree and knowledge of public school expectations and standards?

Honestly there is no way Dh would agree to pay for a tutor. He had a tutor 2 years ago who really helped him. Since he has been school though it Hasn’t been the best. Last years teacher was aweful and this years teacher has been out more then she has been in.

Honestly, generating ideas and content is the hardest part of writing IMHO.    So the fact that he is able to do that is GREAT!   

What do you feel like he needs to work on the most?  Perhaps if you told us his strengths and weaknesses, we could better suggest some tools to help.  

Also, what type of writing are you hoping to work on?  Creative/Narrative?   Expository?  

Let me ask you some other questions:

1)  How is his spelling?

2)  What about mechanics?  Is he indenting paragraphs, capitalizing properly, consistently putting in end marks and commas where they belong, able to punctuate quotations?  

3)  Is he able to communicate his thoughts in a clear, organized manner?  Or is he sort of "all over the place"? 

• Like 1