Menu

Famous Men History Series

WoolC

We've been following the Latin Centered Curriculum history sequence along with Story of the World because we enjoy history. Next year (3rd grade) LCC moves into Famous Men of Ancient Greece. I noticed MP and other programs don't schedule this book until 5th or 6th grade noting that that it's better for older students to appreciate the philosophy of the Greeks. Has anybody used FM of Greece with a 3rd grader? Would you recommend waiting or going ahead?

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents, unless you have a child with an advanced reading comprehension (*really* advanced), I would not do FMG in third grade. 

What version of LCC are you using?  My version (1st ed) slots D'Aulaires' Greek Myths for classical studies in 3rd grade...much better fit for that age.

6th grade or so is a better fit for FMG.

• Like 3

Just my 2 cents, unless you have a child with an advanced reading comprehension (*really* advanced), I would not do FMG in third grade.

What version of LCC are you using? My version (1st ed) slots D'Aulaires' Greek Myths for classical studies in 3rd grade...much better fit for that age.

6th grade or so is a better fit for FMG.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking. I have the second edition which had us doing D'Aulaire's Greek and Norse myths this school year in 2nd. I did get a copy of the first edition to compare recently but I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet; I'll have to go ahead and dig into it!

• Like 1

As a simple read aloud, sure. To study or read independently, nope.

I'm reading the Greek one aloud to a 7yo and almost 10yo. They're fascinated. They are not grasping all of it. They are getting a good familiarity with the major characters and filling their heads with stories. I've heard them turn their sword games into Athens vs Sparta... lol

• Like 3