Menu

Science - from RSO to BFSU or...?

SereneHome

I am going to try not to ramble....

When I first was looking for science curriculum it seemed everyone was raving about BFSU, but NOT a science person that I am, I bulked, thinking it was going to be too much for me.  I went with RSO Life.  It took us awhile, but got through it and now doing RSO Earth and Space.  I have a 1st, 2nd and 4th grader and it just doesn't seem meaty enough.  I have gotten some books from the library, some hits, some misses.

I don't know what to do.  Stay with RSO and get lots of books, switch to something else?? 

We were reading Seymour Simon "weather" and my 4th grader was a bit bored and my 1st grader was lost....

So, opinions?  Suggestions?

We are not Christians, so I need completely secular program.

We use BFSU easily, and I'm not a science person.  There's a plan on the BFSU forum that i found by searching up lesson plans (the flowchart intimidated me) and it includes links and extras.

However, I see us probably going back to Mystery Science next year.  We used it last year and part of K, and dropped it for BFSU this year.  While it has been fun, ds perked up so much at hearing Doug's familiar voice on a little mini Mystery that was sent to my inbox. Now that they've included more mysteries I'm inclined to go that direction next year, either alone or with BFSU vol. 2 to pair up.

I briefly thought about doing MBTP science, but we may use them for literature and I don't want overkill.

• Like 1

We're using the Sassafras Science Adventures. Dd loves being able to color as I read to her. We were thinking about switching because of how light it was, but with how much she enjoys it, I can't bring myself to change it. This year we used the lapbook guide and I think that's why it wasn't doing it for me. We're doing the logbook (notebooking) pages next year. While the books will be the same, she'll need to look at other resources (encyclopedia, internet, library) to find some of the information. Since she's only going to be in 1st, I'll be doing the heavy lifting and help her with the research/writing parts.There are also easy-to-do activities for each chapter. The books are written for k through 4 I think and it should be pretty easy to keep it simple for your younger kids while beefing it up some for your older kid. 

Word of warning, though, it dialogue in the book is a little on the awkward side. There's nothing inappropriate, just doesn't always have a natural flow to it. The coloring pages, as much as my daughter loves them, aren't all that great either. Still, for elementary age kids, I believe it'll be easily adaptable to each age and there are lots of samples for each component (novel, lapbooking, notebooking, guides, coloring pages) to check it out.