Menu

Anyone changed insurance agents with the same company?

Pegasus

I'm happy with the insurance company itself but am thinking I want to change agents.  The agent I had since I was a teenager passed away a few years ago and I was automatically assigned to a new agent. We've talked to her a few times and I just don't think she is very knowledgeable about finances in general or insurance specifically.  I was telling her more than she was telling me during our last conversation and she even called over one of the other office workers to confirm that something I was telling her was true.  It was.

We've also had repeated mistakes made since she took over.  Listing DD17 as married, for example, despite multiple phone calls to get it corrected.  Now I've gotten a letter from the insurance company home office that a recent change we made to our insurance (that we did in person with our agent) requires a special signed form, otherwise it is changing automatically to something else.  Knowing what forms are required seems like a very basic expectation of an insurance agent, yes?

So, I'll be "shopping" for a new agent and was just looking for any experiences of BTDT.  Not sure what the process would be.

I’ve done it. First I wanted to switch agents from the big agency in town to a smaller one. In that case the agent I wanted to switch to was hesitant and didn’t really want to do it unless I was going to leave the company if he didn’t. I told him that was the case and then he handled switching it over for me.

Then, that agent left the company to become an independent agent and I got assigned some random other agent. In that case, since I had been randomly assigned, the switch was easy. I pciked my agent, called and explained and she handled the switch.

Then I left that insurance company altogether and went with the guy who was my agent but went independent. He handled the switch for me that time as well. In all the cases, I think the agents did it as a professional courtesy/customer service thing. YMMV, but I suspect if my experience is the case, it may be easier than you think.