Menu

Syllable Divided books--for those reading below 6th grade level

ElizabethB

I have found these books helpful for my remedial reading students, and also for beginning students not yet able to read 3 and 4 syllable words on their own. These books have syllables that are divided based on the same divisions in Webster's speller. Open syllables (those that end with a vowel) are long, closed syllables (ending in a consonant) are short. Open syllables in unaccented syllables of a word often schwa.

Here are some free divided syllable books: reprints for purchase, and free older texts from Google books.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllabledividedb.html

The book "The Lives of the Presidents" is especially nice because you can print out one President at a time and work on that.

If your child is helped by this, you might also want to consider doing some work with Webster's Speller (free online, link below.)

You're welcome!

By the way, I also like Read, Write and Type, and for both dyslexic and non-dyslexic children.

My daughter "played" it for almost a year before she realized it was educational. She would ask to "play" it just like she has to ask permission for a video game or to watch a DVD.