Menu

Kids found a caterpillar in the back yard

It's big, solid black, and very fuzzy/hairy. They want to keep it (we have a butterfly pavilion) and wait for it to turn into a butterfly. It seems very late in the season for it to turn into a butterfly in our areas(va). So I'm thinking it doesn't really have a chance outside, or I wouldn't even entertain the idea of bringing it inside. Is it possible to keep it until does it's thing? I know they eat milkweed, but we don't have any to feed him. What else can he eat?

ETA: I found info on what they caught! This thing is amazing, and so pretty! Not exactly a butterfly. http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek020608.html

Edited by RJH

Woweee! That's really cool. I would definitely try to keep it, though I don't know about the feeding. So far we've done all of ours inside, and by the time we found them, they were ready to make their coccoons, so they didn't need to eat. We didn't end up with anything nearly that cool though. Will it be warm enough to release it where you are? I guess either way it would die in the elements though, so you might as well give it a few more weeks of life if you can, and enjoy the lesson in the meantime.

So neat!