Menu

MEP middle school question about test marking guide code. Maybe other curriculi use this too?

rose

I was marking a test today for my daughter doing MEP y7 and I was annoyed again at not knowing what the marking guide was talking about. For a question worth 1 mark it give the answer on the left and M1 on the right. Sometimes it says B1. For a question worth 2 marks it might say M1 A1. I saw one question worth 4 marks that was labeled M1 A1 M1 A1. Does anyone have any idea what this code means?

Great question, I've no clue (and I spent some time hunting).  To be honest, I'd never even noticed those letters!  I don't recall right now how I scored those tests (we just aim for 90% generally, so I must have done something). 

If you wish, you can email Russell at MEP -- he's been very responsive in the past.  I don't want to write his e-mail on this forum but will link the page with his contact info: you want Russell Geach from this page.  I _think_ he is still an active staff member of MEP. 

good luck!

I don't know what it means either, but when I was marking MEP tests, I just concluded that the question was worth 2 or 4 (or however many) marks, and marked accordingly. So, if kid made a silly mistake somewhere, I just docked him 1 or 2 instead of having the whole question wrong, kwim? I sort of used it as a guide on how to mark each question. Not that helpful, I know!

:party:   because I found it!    Here is a link to a pdf that explains the significance of the M/B/A

ETA: well, okay, it is still pretty opaque.  Another link that clarifies but only a bit.   This link to answers.com is better but full of ads. Here is a summary:

M mark for correct method. 

B mark for correct statement or step.

A mark for accurate answer following correct method. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 4

:party:   because I found it!    Here is a link to a pdf that explains the significance of the M/B/A

ETA: well, okay, it is still pretty opaque.  Another link that clarifies but only a bit.   This link to answers.com is better but full of ads. Here is a summary:

Thanks! That's well worth the party. Weird codes with no explanations are so unsettling.

• Like 1

Thanks, Ana, for finding this out.  I will freely admit to grading my own way, but it's nice to know what the marks were supposed to be. ;)

• Like 1