Menu

Talk to me about drop in showers

Peaceseeker

I have never done a drop in style shower but I have heard of one. I decided to throw one for my niece as she wants to keep things low key. We are doing it at my MIL's house to save money on renting a space and decorating but it will be very cosy if every one shows and lingers.

So what do I need to know? I am assuming food is just out and help yourself whenever. Not sure about the following:

Gifts- does she open each gift as people come in? What if they all come in at once at start time?

Cake- I am considering decorating a small six inch layer cake with something cute and then doing cupcakes.. otherwise how do I handle when to serve cake? At most showers I have done the cake is an ooh, aww type thing that sits out as a decorative centerpiece for a while before we finally slice into it after eating the regular food. But if people are casually coming and going when is the best time for cake?

Games- my daughter really wants to be in charge of games but not sure how this works with a drop in shower. Wait for a lull in conversation and start one? Someone walks in mid game do I try to include them? What kind of games would work best?

Most showers I have done had a more set format- eat and chat while playing a game or two, open gifts and ooh and aww, eat cake and maybe play one more game before heading home. I thought a drop in would be less formal but I keep picturing awkward silences and trying to fill up the two hours without games and opening presents, ykwim?

Do people typically stay for the whole time for a drop in shower or do they come and go? Advice or ideas welcome!

I have never thrown a drop-in shower but I have been to several, and here are some of the ideas from those I have attended

Everything is drop in!

The food is all out.  Even the desserts.  The small cake & cupcakes is a perfect example.

The presents are drop in.  Usually there is a table for people to drop gifts off.  Those gifts are opened later similar to a wedding reception.  Some people will really want to see the guest of honor open their gift and she can do it right then.  Also this works if there is one big group gift like a stroller.  The stroller can be at the shower, covered with decorations.  A simple basket for gift cards is also appropriate.  Drop in showers are also fun for board book themed shower with a basket set out to hold baby's new library.

Activities can also be drop in.  A guess how many pink or blue diaper pins (or whatever) in the jar where people put their answers in another jar & the winner is notified later & given her prize ($10 gift card to Target, Amazon, Starbucks, etc)  Other activities could be guess the baby food with labels removed (write down guesses on a 3 X 5 & put in an envelope, having a little table with a small book for people to write their best wishes & baby advice in and so on.

Generally people will arrive, drop off their present, write in the little book, grab a plate and visit with the guest of honor or others for a little bit & then leave.  Easy Peasy.  People who want to stay for a long visit will & people who can only stay for a few minutes don't feel like they are interrupting anything when they have to leave.

Amber in SJ

• Like 2

Was thinking why would you want to leave the door unlocked and let the neighbors come into the bathroom when you are in the shower...then clicked on this thread, whew, you mean a different kind of shower.

I have not been to a shower in years, but can see the attraction since more likely to get folks to show up for a bit if they can drop in (and fit it into their busy schedules easily) instead of having to commit a couple valuable weekend hours at a set time to it. Obviously you adjust the food/games accordingly.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

Around here they do drop in showers after the baby is born. People drop by, bring a gift, ooh and aah over the baby,  eat a croissant with chicken salad on it, and enjoy a cupcake.   The best part for me is no games. I don't enjoy shower games. 

But you could do the same thing before the shower and when there are several people there, start a game. 

I love drop in showers. 

I went to a shower recently where the "game" was just writing stuff on tiny diapers. A fun way for the hostess to give the mom diapers instead of a diaper cake, and the sayings could range from witty to simple (a smiley face) to a scripture or encouraging word. Super simple, but liked by a range of people.

• Like 1