Menu

High school science for a non-stem kid?

What do you suggest for science for a non-stem, non-mathy kid?

Here is my conundrum. My 8th grader is currently taking her first foray into online classes - Derek Owens' Physical Science. I thought it a good idea to have some science instruction to pave the way for high school. Now I'm wondering what to do for high school. My conundrum is that I think I maybe should have waited on DO's Physical Science until 9th grade - and then by 10th moved into Bio or Physics. And by then, she likely could have handled those. But she likes DO Physical Science - so maybe it's not a good idea to 'hold her back.' She's currently taking Alg I with Jann in TX - and will move to Geometry for 9th grade.

We need to think of the usual Bio/Chem/Physics (in whatever order) to be able to be competitive for (preferably) UC schools. We also will need SAT II (probably not AP) scores to validate these scores for UC a-g status - at least 2 of them. 

Her older brother liked WTMA's Bio and I had thought of her taking that. But it was rigorous for 9th grade. Wondering if she will be able to handle it.

The other class on my radar is Clover Creek's Physics. Also from what I understand, somewhat rigorous too. So can she handle it? She's my artsy, dancing girl. 

I want to outsource science. But I don't want to overwhelm her. She is not the same as her older brother who took 3 APs in 9th, so what are your thoughts?

Help! Thanks!!

Okay, looking at the CA a-g requirements for science:

Two units (equivalent to two years or four semesters) of laboratory science are required (three units are strongly recommended), providing fundamental knowledge in two of the following disciplines: Biology, Chemistry, Physics.

A yearlong interdisciplinary, or integrated, or earth and space science course can meet one year of this requirement.

That looks like you need:

- 2 credits required, but 3 science credits recommended during high school

- 2 of the 3 need to come from Biology, Chemistry, or Physics

- OR, 1 credit can come from either an earth/space science, or integrated or interdisciplinary

So:

- pick the 2 that DD might best fit with from Biology, Chemistry and Physics

- OR, choose 1 from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and then do 1 credit of Earth Science/Astronomy or integrated science

- AND do a third science of her choice

That doesn't sound too rough. :) So if you don't want to overwhelm her, you could hold off for a few years on doing WTMA Biology or Clover Creek Physics in a few years, and in 9th grade either do Earth Science/Astronomy or an integrated science, and in 10th grade do 1 credit of science that is of interest to your student -- Environmental Science, Ecology, Horticulture, Astronomy, Earth Science, Meteorology, Marine Biology...

One thought: Environmental Science is a good "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" option, as there is also an AP test for it that I have heard is pretty gentle as far as AP tests go. :) So a science credit AND the confirming test required by CA a-g.

Another possibility might be to outsource to dual enrollment in your student's last year or two of high school -- so in 11th or 12th grade, do dual enrollment in the fall semester of one science that fits the CA a-g requirements, and then in the spring semester do another science that fits the CA a-g requirements. In one year, 2 science credits down. :)

BEST of luck as you think through your options! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.