Menu

National Merit: Letter of Recommendation

I have researched all I can find on this topic on the forums, but I find myself still unsure about whether it would be better to ask for a letter from a university professor who taught our kid for one semester and loved her, or from a music teacher who has taught her for five years and so has a long history with her.  The professor has the credentials of a university behind her and can speak to her love of learning and her commitment in a class setting, and the music teacher has more longevity with her and knows her better as a person but can't speak to her specific academic program or performance.  Both would write good letters.  Does anyone have an idea of who the NM people would rather hear from?  Or are we overthinking this and it doesn't matter?  Thanks for any thoughts!

I think either would be fine! The letter of rec won't make or break the application. For the most part, the things that keep kids from progressing to finalist are problems with grades, an inadequate SAT score, a history of disciplinary actions, or just neglecting to get the application in :-)

• Like 1

For National Merit, I think the letter of recommendation is basically one more box to check. They just want to make sure the students are continuing to do well in school, do well on the SAT (as in prove the PSAT was not a total fluke), and basically be recommended. The ones I know that don't make it have bad grades or are not US citizens.

• Like 1