Menu

Need quick help on Robert's Rules of Order!

TwoEdgedSword

Here is the hypothetical. Five members of a board meeting will be meeting soon. 4 are in favor of a motion to vote in a particular candidate for a position. One is vehemently opposed.

In a past vote, one made a motion to approve a candidate and no one would second it despite 4 of the 5 being in favor of the motion and that person, for small-town political reasons.

Then the one person against the candidate made a motion for another candidate. And it was seconded. That candidate is now out of the running because of personal problems. There is still a third candidate that is possible.

This could happen again. When someone makes a motion for that first candidate that four out of five people are in favor of, don't they have to decide something on that motion, rather than ignore it and bring a different motion?

Thsnk you!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

If the motion isn't seconded it fails. But if the motion is made on the floor with a second and then no vote is taken it is out of order and must either be tabled or called for a vote.

One could move the candidate, second, and then open the floor to debate set to end at a certain time - we do that a lot. But if the question is called or a motion is made and passed to end debate, then a vote must commence. If there is no second it fails and you can rightfully move on to other business.

ETA - Proper verbiage would be "I make a motion that _______ be nominated to (whatever position)." Then whoever is chairing the meeting calls for a second. If after ten seconds or so no one seconds, the chair should say "Hearing no second, the motion for nomination fails. Onto the next order of business (or next agenda item, depends on how it is formatted)."

Edited by Arctic Mama

Agreeing with Arctic Mama.... but can I just add the other members are weenies for not seconding? (I hate small town politics.)

Yeah really. If they don't want to go on record they should step down. It's a failure to execute their duties if they are unwilling to even verbally second. You can't even get to a paper ballot like that. It might be worth reiterating to them that their second is to allow debate or a vote to proceed, not affirmation of support. They can second and then call for a secret ballot.