Menu

Handwriting, Printing 3rd Grader

MomOfABunch

DS2 has requested something to make his handwriting "not ugly." He did HWOT and his writing is perfectly legible. He is starting the cursive book this year, and I'm fairly sure that will improve his printing. If he hadn't asked, I would leave well enough alone. But it bothers *him* and he's asked specifically for a printing workbook for this year. (Yes, he does copywork.)

Recommendations for refinement after HWOT?

Hmmmm... What is bothering him about his writing? Would it be as simple as, "well, I see that not all your letters touch the line, if they all ended at the same bottom point your writing would look tidier," or some other helpful comment like that?

Or you could show him samples and let him pick. Maybe an italic hand?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oh, and does he like the look of HWOT cursive? Because we didn't, so we parted ways the and went with a different cursive book. Since he wants his writing to look nice he may have a strong opinion about the aesthetic of HWOT cursive.

Oh, and does he like the look of HWOT cursive? Because we didn't, so we parted ways the and went with a different cursive book. Since he wants his writing to look nice he may have a strong opinion about the aesthetic of HWOT cursive.

We're only a few pages in, but so far so good.

Hmmmm... What is bothering him about his writing? Would it be as simple as, "well, I see that not all your letters touch the line, if they all ended at the same bottom point your writing would look tidier," or some other helpful comment like that?

Or you could show him samples and let him pick. Maybe an italic hand?

Well, I do see what his complaint is. His writing looks like, well, kids writing. I don't see anything wrong with it, because he's a kid. Things like inconsistent sizing and spacing, nothing outrageous. It's legible.

I've made a paper that helped my kids. They are visual but older. They needed the red baseline, blue middle dotted line and top guide for a while. They were embarrassed to use the Kibder paper with so wide spacing...My oldest had letters swiming all over the place on lined paper! After using my paper she can write straight on white paper after much practice on much smaller spacing.

I'm not home, so I cannot today, tomorrow night I'll post it.

K