Menu

Home school to premed?

On 8/29/2018 at 7:09 AM, 8FillTheHeart said:

I wanted to mention a couple of other paths as well.  First, kids don't have to major in biology or pre-med. My ds's friend I mentioned in the post above majored in physics. I know creekland stated boredom is a factor in kids above the 15th%. I know neither my ds nor his friend (both physics majors) would ever have use the word bored to describe their UG yrs. They were both incredibly involved in research. My ds spent a minimum of 18 hrs/week on research. They took grad level classes, etc. 

Just clarifying that your kids did not go to the level of schools where boredom would be a factor compared to their accomplishments and level of academics.

The students this affected would have had ACT scores in the 30s with average for the school being lower 20s with limited research and no graduate classes available, etc.  Huge difference.

My lad had absolutely no problem homeschooling to med school.  He's still in the Top 10% of his class at med school too.

At application time for college he had a high ACT, one AP 5, and two DE As from a CC (and yes, one of those classes was a step down from homeschooling). There were no SATs of any type.  He also had some decent extracurriculars, of course.  The only big award would have been being chess champion for our state one year, but there were other things he did from travel to organizing and running a decent sized benefit dinner as his graduation project.