Menu

Help with cover letter and resume....

Prairie~Phlox

You gals have always been great before with this help and I think I've got my resume about where I want it.  I have the opportunity to apply for a part time professional job, is it exactly what I want? Probably not, but the pay would be great and getting my foot in the door is a plus as well.  I do not meet 100% of the job qualifications (lack the extra nutrition and lactation, but the lactation is easy enough.  Here's the job

Part Time Nutritionist-

ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
Measures height, weight, and hemoglobin of program applicants to determine eligibility for program benefit.  Maintains client records as required using required computer applications. Conducts nutritional assessments, assigning risk factors, and prescribing food packets tailored to client needs. Includes client in nutrition goal development and provides education based on need and readiness to change. Provides clients appropriate health counseling and referrals to medical and community service organizations. Facilitates client nutrition classes. Promotes breast feeding as the ideal feeding method for babies. Maintains current knowledge of public health nutrition and breastfeeding, including attending continuing education workshops and classes. Increases counseling skills in both nutrition and breastfeeding on a continual basis. Performs related duties as assigned.

JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Baccalaureate degree in human nutrition, or baccalaureate degree in a related field with 9 credit hours in human nutrition and 1-2 years experience in human services or education. Possession of Internationally Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) certification preferred. Working knowledge of state and federal WIC program requirements and standard nutritional guidelines and ability to conduct nutritional assessments, provide appropriate education and counseling, and make referrals to registered dietitians as appropriate. Working knowledge of health and social services available to county residents, and ability to make appropriate referrals. Ability to learn about breast feeding through local and state educational opportunities and self study. Working knowledge of and ability to use universal health precautions to avoid infection, and ability to properly operate various medical equipment, such as hemocue machine, balance beam scales, measuring devices, and audio/visual equipment. Ability to properly operate standard office equipment such as computer, printer and calculator. Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers and program participants, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, cultural diversities, and disabilities. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions. Ability to work alone and with others in a team environment with minimum supervision, often under time pressure. Ability to occasionally work extended hours, regularly work evening hours, and occasionally travel out of town for training, sometimes overnight.

My cover letter, I highlighted in orange what I don't really like?? what should I put there.  This letter was an example from someone that is a huge hiring manager from a large global organization, so I really don't want to change a whole lot.  Not sure about the next paragraph either.

Dear Hiring Manager,

In response to your job opening on the Blank County Application Page for a Part Time Nutritionist, I am enclosing my resume for your review. I feel confident that after viewing my qualifications you will find I am a good candidate for this position.

As my resume will show I have extensive organization, communicative and managerial experience. Accustomed to working in various environments where deadlines are a priority and handling multiple responsibilities simultaneously, I thrive on the challenge to meet and exceed goals. Skilled at time management and working with a variety of people, I believe my education, knowledge, skills and abilities are a good match to the qualifications you are seeking.

I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you to discuss how my skills and experience could be a valuable asset to Tippecanoe County. Please feel free to contact me at the telephone number or email address listed on my resume if you wish to arrange an interview or obtain additional information.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

my resume- on my objective, I originally put advancement, but I don't care so much about advancement as longevity, I'm looking for a job that I can retire from, should I put advance, longevity? something else? change it completely? I took out local information, hopefully you can get the idea.

Objective

To obtain a position that will allow me to enter my professional field of study with potential longevity

Key Proficiencies

• Self-Starter
  • Organization
  • Proficient Communicator
  • Attention to Detail
  • Team Building and Leadership
  • MS Office, Access, Excel & Word
  • Time Management
  • Scheduling & supervision
  • Administration

Life Experience

Merchandiser                                                                                                       October 2015-Current

TNG Merchandising

Performs merchandising and display activities in retail accounts.

• Maintain full distribution and display of products in assigned accounts
  • Plan and erect commercial displays, ensure product is accurately displayed and available for consumers
  • Maintain store presentation standards through day - to - day merchandising of products, including resets, fixture installations and ensure adherence to approved plan-o-gram
  • Rotate stock, clean and stock displays
  • Assist supervisor in training other merchandisers

Administrator                                                                                                                                              June 2010-October 2015

Homeschool co-op                                                                                     

Managed 60-family academic cooperative for local homeschooling community.

• Planned and coordinated 30+ classes per year by scheduling teachers, assigning classroom helpers, and creating a class schedule and academic calendar
  • Oversaw family and student communication, complaint resolution, and student discipline
  • Worked with a 3 person volunteer board creating a budget, schedule of classes and class descriptions.
  • Registered families and 200+ students in MS Access and create family and teacher lists in MS Excel
  • Developed annual $2000-$2500 budget and handled supply procurement, accounts receivable and accounts payable
  • Coordinated with host church in developing an academic calendar and defined responsibilities

Seasonal Sales Associate                                                                               January 2008-August 2015

Bookstore                                                                                

Assisted multi-national customer base with text book purchases.

• Managed cash transactions on a register
  • Interacted with the customers that came to the counter
  • Checked for the price of products and any discounts or offers
  • Received coupons and deducted the said amount from the purchase

Education        

Bachelor of Science, Consumer & Families Sciences, Blank University, Somewhere, USA