Menu

s/o Speech Therapy for DS?

MommyLiberty5013

DS4 (the one who had the seizure last week) is developmentally on track physically, mentally, and emotionally. His doctor has never had any reservations/concerns at his well-child visits and neither have DH and/or I.

He just turned 4 on the 29th, and consistently he says his "Ls" and most of his "Rs" as "Ws." For example, "We are going to wolww the car down the hill." Or, "I am weally, weally thirsty." Or, "Mommy, wet's have a Paw Patrow party."

Is this something I should expect him to out grow in the next year. Or, is this likely something needing professional correction?

He has his 4-year well-child visit in a few weeks.

Thanks.

According to Ken Bleile in The Late Eight, 50% of children master /l/ by 3 yrs 6 mos and 75% by 6 yrs 0 mos. For /r/ as a consonant, 50% master it by 5 yrs 0 mos. and 75% by 6 yrs 0 mos. For r-controlled vowels (ar, er, ir, or, ur), 50% master them by 3 yrs 6 mos. and 75% by 5 yrs 6 mos.

Unless you have other speech or language concerns, he is unlikely to qualify for SLP services since /w/ for /r/ and /l/ is considered age-appropriate at just turned 4.

• Like 1