Menu

SilverMoon

I do Quark with my kids, and my youngest is 6 and gets a lot out of it. I would not say any child need to be advanced to be able to benefit from Quark Chronicles at a younger age. We use Wayfarers, and Quark is scheduled for both the Grammar and Dialectic levels, so it is definitely intended and appropriate for little kids as well as bigger kids. The accompanying Notebooking pages are valuable because they schedule in additional enrichment reading, as well as the copywork pages, and the definitions, which provide an opportunity to integrate science with English dictionary skills, penmanship, etc. I did not use the experiment pages for my kids, nor did we do the experiments very often, but we always do the extra reading, as well as many of the projects suggested in those materials. I get the Notebooking pages in PDF form. We did use Ellen McHenry's curriculum with Quark Botany. It has some really great activities for younger kids--scavenger hunts, art projects, lap books, etc--but with just a 7 year old and no older sibling doing it along side, it might be a little dry for the reading part. I thought it was a very valuable companion. We are currently doing Zoology and having just as much fun. :)

I think Green Thumbs plus Quark would probably be plenty. If the only thing you got the Notebook for was to do extra reading, then you can honestly just find some extra picture books, do some gardening. We did a lot of "dissecting" flowers, sketching plants, looking at things under our little microscope (the underside of ferns!). Also, the Ellen McHenry website has a free section of activities. I think you would be good to go. :) The chapters of Quark are pretty long, but you don't have to read an entire chapter at once. There is usually good stopping points. It's a fun story.