Menu

Rod and Staff Math question..

michaeljenn

Is it ok to skip a level in R&S math? I am noticing how extremely similar the 6th and 7th grade book are. Would I do my son harm to skip the 7th book and move on to the 8th? He is doing excellent in math, and is reataining everything very well! He is complaining of it being so easy. He really wants to move on to Algebra soooo bad! What do you think?

I think it is typical to skip R&S Math 7 because it is so similar to their 6th grade book. You could move him into Algebra, but that would require finding another program...

I was going to start my son in Algebra next year (in 7th grade). However, I've decided to let him mature a little more, so he'll be doing R&S Math 8.

interest on savings or on loans, figuring montly;cost of installment buying; calculating interest for months, etc.

CLE math 8 is due out this summer so I don't know what's in it. CLE math 7 scope & sequence is available to view along with samples on the CLE yahoo group.

R&S math is mastery and CLE math is spiral. So you don't get personal finance in one chapter in CLE.

It would be difficult to jump to CLE math 7 from R&S math because CLE starts algebra and more advanced geometry in grade 5 unlike R&S math (which does lower level algebra & geometry).

lays a strong basic math foundation but spends too little time on algebra. That basic strong foundation is the success of R&S math and also for higher math. But R&S math 7 & 8 only cover algebra in the last chapters of the books and there is no time to reinforce those lessons because math then ends for the year.

CLE math starts algebra in grade 5 from the beginning and reinforces those basic algebra concepts all year. CLE math 7 is much more advanced than R&S math 7 & 8 in algebra and geometry.

Compare the scope and sequence of math 1-8 of several math programs to get a better picture. That's what I did before I switched my gr. 5 ds to CLE math.

My 6th grader used R&S math 8 last year and so far he's breezed into Algebra with no problems. We are using Foerster's Algebra I.

What is Pre-Algebra anyway? I didn't have it in school and had no problems. It would probably depend on the child. Some need more time to get the basics under control.

Overall, I've been very please with R&S. We've used grades 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8. For the money, I don't know if you can find a program that teaches the basics as well as this one!

hth,

melissa

Hi Yolanda,

I've used R&S Math 3, 4, 5, & 6. I've been very pleased with the program and think it has prepared my sons well for higher level math. My oldest son is in the 6th grade this year. He is currently going through a pre-algebra program and was originally scheduled to move into Algebra I next year in 7th grade. However, while he is academically prepared for Algebra, I've decided to do another year of pre-algebra and/or personal finance to let him mature a little bit more before we move forward. Even if we wait until 8th grade to start Algebra, he will still get to Calculus by 12th grade (which is a goal of his). Therefore, I decided not to rush him.

I'm leaning toward R&S Math 8, but I'm looking into CLE Math 7 too. R&S Math is more teacher intensive. Since my oldest has a propensity for math, I'm thinking I might get a review program that he can do on his own which will free up my time to focus on my other boys who will be doing R&S 2 and 6 next year.

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the information. My son has done a pre-algebra program this year, so I think he could easily go into CLE 7. I'm thinking of making this change because it is a year of review for my son, and CLE is not as teacher intensive as R&S.

I'll look into the Yahoo! group. I appreciate the link.

Take care,

Thanks Michelle & Beth. We are using R&S 2 right now, and things are fine. I want to stick with one program, at least until algebra, and since it's working for us, I think I'll stay the course. However, I have to admit, CLE looks appealing, and I thought grade 2 would be an okay time to switch. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yolanda