Menu

Anyone used A Year of Playing Skillfully?

ExcitedMama

I am so torn about this! I'm not artsy or crafty at all. I love reading to my kids and the classic model appeals to me. Luckily thus far it's working well for DS and he loves science and history and what we've done so far. DD is super easy to please and loves everything we do. I was looking at what to spend charter funds on when I saw AYOPS, which unfortunately the charter won't cover. It looks so FUN and playful and all the stuff that's not really my forte. The upper age range is 7 which DS will just barely fit. I love the idea of adding more just fun for them, but of course the price tag is steep. I'm sure this is something that could be cobbled together, and I was better at this stuff when DS was younger, but I know it's not something I'm going to get around to doing even if most of it probably is on Pinterest somewhere. Since we have charter funds I don't have to worry about buying much, just the secular materials which aren't covered, so this is doable, but is it worth it? I'd love to hear from anyone who's used it. Was it worthwhile? Did your kids enjoy it? Was there an age range that wasn't interested?

Here's the website if you haven't heard of it:

http://www.thehomegrownpreschooler.com/shop/

I also signed up for their newsletter and they sent this coupon code for $30 off through 7/4 which is why I am thinking about ordering it now:

PLAYUSA2017

I think you can see one month as a sample.

I did it. We picked and chose activities. My kids enjoyed some of the activities but I'm not really sure it was worth the cost in my mind. Let me know if you have any other questions. There is a board on Facebook if you want more info. Some people love it.

• Like 1

This will be our third year using the curriculum and we absolutely love it.  It has been one of my best homeschool purchases.  You can pick and chose what activities work best for your family and even my older kids have also participated in many of the activities.  I feel like I have more than got my money's worth out of it.  The Facebook group is really neat because people share how they implement the ideas in the curriculum and it is just a very supportive space.  The sample for September is very representative of the curriculum, so really give that a look. 

Here is a great review

https://farmhouseschoolhouse.com/2016/05/22/a-year-of-playing-skillfully/

• Like 1

NewHSMom you're blog is one of the first ones I saw on AYOPS! It is such a moving post that it really inspired me! I remember considering it and finding your post when I went to a Google it. It really made me want to try it. Thanks again! So I splurged on it. I know it's set up by seasons to start in the fall, do you think I should just wait, I was considering starting in August and just doing it slowly to ensure I match up with the seasons, or skip ahead to summer and start now?

NewHSMom you're blog is one of the first ones I saw on AYOPS! It is such a moving post that it really inspired me! I remember considering it and finding your post when I went to a Google it. It really made me want to try it. Thanks again! So I splurged on it. I know it's set up by seasons to start in the fall, do you think I should just wait, I was considering starting in August and just doing it slowly to ensure I match up with the seasons, or skip ahead to summer and start now?

It is not my blog, but I thought the author did a great job of summarizing our experience with the curriculum.  

You can definitely start September in August and move slowly.  I can never get through everything in the curriculum in a month.  We have some activities that we have done every year and then some other things we have spread over several years.  I spend a little time in the summer lining out what activities we are going to do each week and that helps me to gather supplies.  However, if we don't get to something then I just move it to the next week. With an older child, there might be some activities that you skip or just change in some way.  The first year we went through AYOPS, I had 2nd grader and 1st grader tagging along with my preschooler and they also really enjoyed the activities.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we have and definitely join the Facebook group.  

Edited by newhsmom
  • Like 1