Menu

Transcript Course Description - Math U See Alg I sample

This course will be the first high school course my ds completes so I am trying to write the course description etc to put in his file. Does anyone have a sample they wouldn't mind sharing -I'm clueless as to what all I need to include and what it should look like.

Thanks in advance.

This course will be the first high school course my ds completes so I am trying to write the course description etc to put in his file. Does anyone have a sample they wouldn't mind sharing -I'm clueless as to what all I need to include and what it should look like.

Thanks in advance.

Here is MathUSee's pdf file of secondary course descriptions.

• Like 2

Thanks!!

So, is that all you include in the file? Just the course description?  or is there something else I should add with this information for each course?  I mean -- I know of course what the transcript itself has on it, but as far as including information describing each course I'm not certain what a professional description is suppose to consist of?  Maybe the grading process?

Edited by momof2cowboys

Thanks!!

So, is that all you include in the file? Just the course description?  or is there something else I should add with this information for each course?  I mean -- I know of course what the transcript itself has on it, but as far as including information describing each course I'm not certain what a professional description is suppose to consist of?  Maybe the grading process?

It really depends on the school and also your needs (and many schools only need transcripts, but if you are going for top scholarships you may need course descriptions). I used Lee Binz's Comprehensive Record Solutions--she has complete examples of what you can include (and descriptions for a LOT of common curricula, which are easy to modify also.) She has a free webinar that I found helpful too--I have a link on my blog.

I kept a record of all the books we read, what the course was about, what grading criteria I used, what my student's grades were for tests, papers, discussions, lab reports, and so on. I found it was very worthwhile to keep this information readily available even just for the sake of homeschooling the next child--I didn't have to spend a lot of time trying to remember what we did or how I graded things because I had it all recorded. I like to spend just a couple of hours at the end of each year putting together all of our course descriptions (and I used the Comprehensive Record Solution as my "base" for page layout and what to include and just tweaked it to make it my own, and got basic descriptions from websites and catalogs. I added to descriptions if we did other things as well, changed up the wording etc...). 

Edited by MerryAtHope

Oh, wow! Is this typical? Do most curriculum companies/providers have nicely prepared course descriptions like this? Seems like it would be so helpful. I was assuming I would be on my own...

I don't know how typical it is, but usually it's pretty easy to pull together course descriptions from catalog or online descriptions. I always start with a "rough draft" version that is copied from various places and includes anything we added in, just as a record of what we did for my purposes. Then if you need to submit course descriptions, you can rewrite as needed and make it your own. Lee Binz's Comprehensive Record Solutions has all kinds of course descriptions, and I found those useful and easy to tweak. 

• Like 1