Menu

What to do for LA for 3rd grade?

smarson

We've completed Logic of English Foundations and I moved on to Essentials for this 2nd grade year.  I'm not loving Essentials the way I loved Foundations and I'm struggling to find the motivation to continue with it for 3rd grade.  We're using the 2nd edition, have completed A-D of Foundations and am now using level B in Essentials.  The grammar for level C is way too complex for my daughter but the spelling for level B is a bit simple, as we're just reviewing many of the rules we already learned in Foundations.  At any rate, I just don't love it and I'm looking to change for next year but don't really know what to switch to.

Right now I'm looking at Writing and Rhetoric Fable for writing and Well-Ordered Language everything else.   Or there's Treasured Conversations.  Or Bravewriter, or WWE/FLL, etc...  There are so many choices and I really don't have any strong feelings about any of them.  My daughter doesn't love to write but that could also be because we've never really done any significant writing and/or haven't written anything fun (to her).  I feel like you're supposed to wait until 4th grade to hit grammar hard, but with LOE she's already dabbled with some very light grammar and I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do for 3rd grade.

Check out Cottage Press materials, too (just to add to your list :) ).  And in the mean time, try to decide how you want to approach writing in general.  BW and WR, for example, are very different programs with very different approaches and priorities.

• Like 1

Check out Cottage Press materials, too (just to add to your list :) ). And in the mean time, try to decide how you want to approach writing in general. BW and WR, for example, are very different programs with very different approaches and priorities.

I have never seen those Cottage Press LA curriculums before. Where have they been all my life! I thought I had fall nailed down and now I am seriously reconsidering. Those look fantastic!

• Like 1

Check out Cottage Press materials, too (just to add to your list :) ).  And in the mean time, try to decide how you want to approach writing in general.  BW and WR, for example, are very different programs with very different approaches and priorities.

Hmmm, I'll have to check that out!  And I think you hit the nail on the head - I really don't know what my priorities are or how I want to approach writing.  I always hated it, I pretty much hated anything to do with English... and now teaching it, my own attitudes definitely impact my decisions.  I don't want her to hate it, I want her to like it and be good at it.  As to how to approach it, we only stumbled on LOE and it got rave reviews from people I admired and respected so I thought I'd try it and it was perfect for what it was and for where we were~

Just because y'all dabbled in grammar last year doesn't mean you need to keep with it this year. :-)

I love this!!  And it sounds very appealing to me. :)  But what do I do in the mean time?  Just skip it altogether, work on some writing concepts and then hit the grammar harder when she's older?  Just do some fun writing for 3rd grade?

Edited by smarson
  • Like 1

Ooh, these do look great!  They remind me of ELTL (which I forgot on my original list of options). Thanks for sharing!!!

• Like 1

Hmmm, I'll have to check that out!  And I think you hit the nail on the head - I really don't know what my priorities are or how I want to approach writing.  I always hated it, I pretty much hated anything to do with English... and now teaching it, my own attitudes definitely impact my decisions.  I don't want her to hate it, I want her to like it and be good at it.  As to how to approach it, we only stumbled on LOE and it got rave reviews from people I admired and respected so I thought I'd try it and it was perfect for what it was and for where we were~

I love this!!  And it sounds very appealing to me. :)  But what do I do in the mean time?  Just skip it altogether, work on some writing concepts and then hit the grammar harder when she's older?  Just do some fun writing for 3rd grade?

You can do lots of writing without addressing grammar (except as needed to make corrections in her writing). And when you get ready to do grammar, you don't have to hit it harder. Just...teach it.f :-)

Something very simple but effective for writing is Writing Strands.

• Like 1