Menu

is online science learning effective for a student?

Hello, Friends. 

I am Avijit. a few days ago a group from online study center visited my daughter's school and gave her a demo. Now kids are always excited but I really want to know whether this will be effective for my daughter's science learning or not? 

Please help me with the best of your knowledge. 

Thanks and Regards!

I have no experience with it, but have not really investigated it because I have always needed to see and feel things to learn about them, as have my children.  Watching chemistry experiments is not the same as doing them, for example.  I suspect it would also depend on the subject and how many things they were expected to do at home.  It would also depend on your resources in your home.  If you are in a tiny apartment, watching online might be better than trying to recreate experiments at home.  Or if you live in a city, watching nature online might be more realistic than daily nature walks, for example.  When I was growing up, in public school, I remember being "taught" lots of things that I already knew because I lived on a farm.  Other kids didn't know those things, but because they grew up in different situations, they knew things I had to be "taught."  I suppose that doesn't really answer your question :) 

• Like 1

I think it really depends on the quality of the online science teaching. You may or may not know that the world of virtual learning, whether synchronous, teacher-led classes or software-driven, "canned" classes has really grown exponentially in the last several years. Without knowing exactly which online science 'product' was demo'ed in your child's school, it is impossible to comment on its quality. If you could be more specific, you might get some feedback from someone who is familiar with that particular product. For instance, I know many people have used Plato Learning, classes by K12, Apex courses, etc. I'm sure one of the thousands of home-educators on this forum might be able to weigh-in with some helpful information. Best of luck!

I think it depends on the subject. DS has learned while encyclopedias worth of science info from documentaries. Most people learn after being exposed to ideas multiple times. So exposure through books, online, documentaries, experiments, discussions, etc, can all help to cement ideas.