Menu

Buying The Lost Tools of Writing-5th ed. USED?

I have seen a lot of people looking for second hand copies of The Lost Tools of Writing-5th ed. (newest), including myself.

(Sorry Circe if you are listening).  :)

$147 brand new is a tough price to swallow but I am wondering if there is no way around it for the following reason.

This edition does not use DVD's but has a password to stream the videos through Vimeo.

My big hesitation in buying used is that I won't receive the password from the seller OR

that the password is only good for the initial user and would not be transferrable to anyone else.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I know I can get the 4th ed. at some great used prices but from what I read on the Circe site and elsewhere about the 5th ed. being so much more user friendly, I really think, since I will be doing it alone at home, the 5th ed. would be the best option for me.

There are also so many out there looking for The LToW used and are seeing the 5th ed. and asking if the DVD's are included or asking if the 4th ed. is the latest edition. I am surprised that people are not doing their research before buying things. I had to steer 2 people so far in the right direction.  :)

Any info would be appreciated. Thx!

I'm not sure if the video code would transfer, but I'm sure if you emailed Circe they would give you the most accurate answer.

It's possible to buy access to the new videos separately: https://www.circeinstitute.org/store/lost-tools-writing-level-one/lost-tools-writing-online-instructional-videos-subscription. If you could get the other items used for a great price, this might be a viable option.

I'm also looking into using LToW 5th ed. for a co-op class. I really wanted to preview it first, but it's definitely hard to come by secondhand.

I'm not sure if the video code would transfer, but I'm sure if you emailed Circe they would give you the most accurate answer.

It's possible to buy access to the new videos separately: https://www.circeinstitute.org/store/lost-tools-writing-level-one/lost-tools-writing-online-instructional-videos-subscription. If you could get the other items used for a great price, this might be a viable option.

I'm also looking into using LToW 5th ed. for a co-op class. I really wanted to preview it first, but it's definitely hard to come by secondhand.

I went to a CC booth at the homeschool convention last spring and they let me pour over the books. That's how I got my preview.

Meena- I did see that I could buy the video code for $45 but no one is selling their books for less than $100 so that would total $145. Might as well buy new.  :)

Targhee- thx for the info on using the password. That is good to know!