Menu

Latin Users

Mom27kidz

What ages are you teaching? You might want to call Memoria Press and ask what they would recommend after LC II. I've used LC I & II, the Form series (1-3), Henle, Wheelock, and others -- many others. (I'm in my 24th year of homeschooling.) If my child had just finished LC II and was in middle school, I'd go to the Latin Road to English Grammar. 13yo ds is finishing up LRtEG, Vol. 2 and got a gold on the NLE Latin 1 this year. I like the presentation and the pace of LRtEG better than the others for middle school. There would be review for a child finishing up LC II, but LC II is very elementary, so you'd want the review anyway, no matter what you use. The others you listed are nice choices, too.

• Like 1

Have you actually done LCII? The old MP sequence was Henle I after LCII. But now they have the Form series, they don't recommend LCII anymore. You do LCI then move into First Form, Second Form, Third Form, Fouth Form/HenleI, then Henle II. 

If you did LCII, what you want to do next is up to you. I actually did do LCII with a group of kids for a particular reason. The kids that remained after that were all relatively young, so we just went on to the Form series. Had I an older student who needed to move into high school work immediately I would have had him go ahead into Henle more than likely. But the form series is going to give a greater foundation for Henle if you time to work through them. 

I don't know about the other program. 

• Like 2

Wow I just checked out The Latin Road...I had never heard of it. It looks great! My only bump in the road would be that is says on the website you should spend an hour every day. That's more than I typically spend.... I have a "half hour rule" for every subject til grade 9.

Can you tell me how much time you guys spent on it each day??

I do schedule an hour a day for Latin. My kids are 7th and 9th. But I wouldn't say that they do an hour. I just schedule things that way most of the day- 8-9 math, 10-11 latin, etc. It just makes my day easier. I do have a couple of half hour slots in the day, but very few. When I think they can get two things done in an hour, it usually doesn't work out and just frustrates me. So the hour gives them plenty of time plus extra. Because you know, toddler sister is very distracting. 

I will say in the months leading up to Latin exams we easily spend 2-3 hours a day getting ready, but that does include history and mythology and other topics, not just grammar and translations, though we do a lot of that too. 

Wow I just checked out The Latin Road...I had never heard of it. It looks great! My only bump in the road would be that is says on the website you should spend an hour every day. That's more than I typically spend.... I have a "half hour rule" for every subject til grade 9.

Can you tell me how much time you guys spent on it each day??

It varies a lot from day to day, but we're averaging about 30 minutes per day. This child generally works more quickly than most of my other kids.