Menu

Has your child taken Brave Writer's Kidswrite Basic online course?

I'm starting to think about next year. We've been using (and really liking) WWE for years, but I'm thinking of taking a break for fifth grade and doing some Brave Writer stuff (instead of WWE4) before we start WWS in sixth grade. I'm toying with the idea of doing either The Arrow for a year (probably just choosing a year's worth of single issues) and/or doing some online classes such as Kidswrite Basic. We already incorporate Poetry Tea Time into our schedule and I own The Writer's Jungle, so I'm familiar with Julie's approach, but have never actually used her curriculum or taken her classes. I would love to hear some feedback about the course (and/or The Arrow) if your child has taken it. Thanks!

ETA: I might also get Partnership Writing. (Though as I look at the offerings, I'm a little confused as to how I might combine them all? Can you combine Arrow and Partnership Writing, or is it more an either-or thing?) Sorry this post is all over the place! Would love some general Brave Writer guidance, I guess. Thanks!

Edited by EKT
  • Like 1

I did Kidswrite Basic with a 9th (non-writer), 7th and 5th grader. I was the student and the intermediary to work with my kids. They taught me a bunch of of to work with my kids to get writing out of them as well as give feedback. It was a very good class. It's fine to wait until older to start this class as well.

There are several other online BW classes that would work with 5th grade - Write for Fun, Just So Stories, etc. 

Yes you can do Arrow and Partnership Writing. The Arrow is based around a book. Read the book for the month, do weekly grammar/copywork exercises, discuss literary things from the book. Partnership Writing gives monthly writing projects that are broken down into weekly assignments. 

If I were making the choice I"d pick Partnership Writing with a few Arrows or a fun online class. I'd hold off on Kidswrite Basic (but I tend to teach writing a little older than others). 

• Like 4

I did Kidswrite Basic with a 9th (non-writer), 7th and 5th grader. I was the student and the intermediary to work with my kids. They taught me a bunch of of to work with my kids to get writing out of them as well as give feedback. It was a very good class. It's fine to wait until older to start this class as well.

There are several other online BW classes that would work with 5th grade - Write for Fun, Just So Stories, etc. 

Yes you can do Arrow and Partnership Writing. The Arrow is based around a book. Read the book for the month, do weekly grammar/copywork exercises, discuss literary things from the book. Partnership Writing gives monthly writing projects that are broken down into weekly assignments. 

If I were making the choice I"d pick Partnership Writing with a few Arrows or a fun online class. I'd hold off on Kidswrite Basic (but I tend to teach writing a little older than others). 

Thank you, this is incredibly helpful! 

I would look at the samples for Partnership Writing and Faltering Ownership to see which product most meets your child's writing ability.  We used PW in 5th and 6th and I think she probably was ready for FO.  We enjoyed PW, but it might have been a little easy for my daughter.  I do think the most recent Arrows from this year and last year are much better than the older Arrows.  My daughter will go into Faltering Ownership next year.  If you haven't added Friday Freewrites, then I highly recommend them.  We have so much fun writing together on Fridays from prompts on Julie's Pinterest page.  

• Like 1