Menu

Movies for SOTW 3?

knitgrl

These are all pretty tame feature films made in the 1930s-1950s -- so these should be fine for grades 1-6. If you don't mind black and white, these can be a fun addition to your studies.

1500-1600

world
- The Private Life of Henry V (1933) -- life of Henry VIII and wives #2-6
- The Sword and the Rose (1953) -- Disney adventure; Henry VIII's sister Mary Tudor and politics
- The Prince and the Pauper (1937) -- Mark Twain's tale of Henry VIII's son and a poor look-alike
- The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939) -- Queen Elizabeth I, at the end of her life
- Young Bess (1953) -- young Elizabeth's life before crowned queen
- Fire Over England 1937) -- Spanish Armada threatens England and Queen Elizabeth I
- The Sea 
Hawk (1940) -- swashbuckling privateers under Queen Elizabeth I
- Mary of Scotland (1936) -- Mary tries to reclaim the Scottish throne

1600-1700

world
- Cardinal Richlieu (1935) -- life of statesman Richlieu and his dealings with France's King Louis 13th
- The Three Musketeers (1948) -- French musketeers vs. the scheming Richlieu
- Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) -- a film version of the play; French musketeers
- Captain Blood (1935) -- good British men, falsely accused, turn pirate in the time of King James II
- Rembrandt (1936) -- life of the famous painter
- Christopher Columbus (1940) -- Columbus' famous voyage
- Captain of Castile (1947) -- invasion of Mexico by Cortez from viewpoint of a man fleeing the Inquisition

U.S.
- Plymouth Adventure (1952) -- pilgrims arrive in 1620
- Pocahontas (1995) -- Disney animated, Pohontas and the Jamestown colonists

1700-1800

world
- Rob Roy, the Highland Rogue (1954) -- Disney adventure
- The Scarlet Empress (1934) -- life of Catherine the Great of Russia
- Catherine the Great (1934) -- another biography of the life of the empress of Russia
- Marie Antoinette (1938) -- life of last queen of France, up through her beheading in the French Revolution
- Young Mr. Pitt (1942) -- Britain's real-life prime minister who came up against Napoleon
- Captain Kidd (1945) -- pirates
- John Paul Jones (1959) -- U.S. Revolutionary War naval hero

1745 = The Master of Ballantrae (1953) -- Errol Flynn adventure; Scottish lords; 1745 Jacobite Rising
1750s = Clive of India (1935) -- bio of Lord Clive; decisive battle cementing British East India Company in India
1750s = Treasure Island (1934) or (1950) -- based on Stevenson's novel; pirates (also fun: Muppet Treasure Island)
1776 = 1776 (1972) -- musical based on the politics behind the Declaration
1780s = Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) -- based on the novel; British press-ganged sailors vs. tyrranical captain
1780s = Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (1963) -- Wonderful World of Disney 3-part episode; smugglers and a disguised vigilante stops British press-ganging of sailors
1790s = Tale of Two Cities (1935) or (1958) -- based on Dickens' novel; French Revolution
1790s = The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934) or (1982) -- based on the novel; French Revolution adventure/escapes

U.S.
- Across the Wide Missouri (1951) -- fur trapping, wilderness adventure

1750s = Alleghany Uprising (1939) -- Colonial setters, British authorities, Natives, arms & alcohol cause unrest
1750s = The Northwest Passage (1940) -- real-life explorer Robert Rogers / French & Indian War
1750s = Last of the Mohicans (1936) -- French/Indian War, Colonial US
1760s = Light in the Forest (1958) -- from true events of whites raised by Natives, returned to white culture
1770s = Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) -- US -- pioneering Colonists, Tories, and threatening Indians
1776 = Johnny Tremain (1957) -- Revolutionary War
1776 = Liberty's Kids animated series -- Colonial US/Revolutionary War

1800-1850

world
- Captain Horatio Hornblower (1951) -- Napoleonic Wars
- Les Miserables (1935) -- based on the novel; France after Napoleon

U.S.
- Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier (1955) -- Disney adventure
- Moby Dick (1956) -- whaling
- Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938) -- U.S. pre-Civil War deep South
- Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) -- U.S. president before his election and pre-Civil War

More resources:
none of these separate by age/grade appropriateness:

"Videos/DVDS/movies for early modern times -- age appropriate for a 7-year old please"
- Guest Hollow: History Shelf -- 1500s1600s1700s, 1800s -- largely documentaries
"I'm looking for movies to supplement Sonlight Core C - Intro to American History" -- all US history periods
Paula's Archives: Movies to Supplement History (archived on Wayback Machine)
History and Movies website -- US History

Also, check out the "This is America, Charlie Brown" short animated series, with the Peanuts characters exploring key historical events of U.S. history -- the first two fit your current time period; the rest will work when you do SOTW vol. 4:

1620 = Mayflower Voyagers
1787 = Birth of the Constitution
1880s = Building the Transcontinental Railroad
1903 = Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk
1980s = Nasa Space Station
The Great Inventors (late 19th/early 20th century)
Music and Heroes of America (20th century)
The Smithsonian and the Presidency 

• Like 4

Yay! Thank you, Lori D.! I was hoping you would have some recommendations. Movies from the first half of the 20th century are about dd's speed.

Glad to help. :) While I have certainly NOT seen all of these, I tried to go for ones with the solid actors and directors, and films that got fairly decent ratings. Some of these focus on politics and people that may not be of interest at all to elementary ages, even if the movie is gentle enough for the under 10yo crowd, so definitely use IMDB or other websites to read reviews to see what films might be a good fit interest-wise for YOUR family. :)

Also, the date in parenthesis behind each film title is the year the film was released -- important detail, as often there are multiple versions of films with the same title, and not all are family friendly, or some may be the real stinkers that I did NOT list. ;)

And, I just now added a few more titles. Enjoy! :)

Edited by Lori D.