Menu

IEW or Saxon

coastalfam

I am looking at these two programs as we transition out of ELTL for 4th grade. I was able to preview the TWSS DVD's, and I like the idea behind IEW. I'm concerned about having a grammar program, though. I have little grammar background from my public school/college (minored in English, but was still never taught grammar!). ELTL is getting complicated with grammar to the point I am not confident in my teaching. It doesn't offer enough help for me to help my son. So two things, will the Fix it! program in addition to the other IEW materials provide a grammar program that is good enough. The Saxon program is said to have lots of grammar review, and a straight forward writing instruction. That sounds like something I could really appreciate for my "just give me the rules so I can get this done" kind of a son. What are opinions on Saxon? Thanks. 

I use IEW SWI for writing and Saxon/Hake for grammar, it's been a good fit for us. Hake grammar with its emphasis on review has worked well for both my 12 year old DS1 and 10 year old DD1, they've shown good progress and retention. (Previously we've used FLL, Easy Grammar, a brief trial of Fix It grammar, and a Spectrum grammar workbook.) I just let them do the work right in the student book. We don't use Hake for writing, DS1 in particular has needed more scaffolding. IEW SWI has been a good choice for us.

We've used IEW and Fix It for last two years. Very happy with it. The grammar is effective without being too much, and it's enjoyable. 

ETA: And the two programs reinforce one another. You don't need to do one to do the other, but things like sentence openers, etc. are reinforced both ways. 

Edited by texasmom33