Menu

Dictation for older student

sdobis

I'm full of questions today while researching for next year.

My dyslexic daughter is finishing Apples and Pears this year with great success. Yay! I'd love to move to dictating larger and more complex sentences or paragraphs. I'd like to use it as copywork early in the week, discussing grammar and spelling intricacies as they come up. Then I would dictate at the end of the week.

Where could I find passages for this? I don't mind paying for something if it has what I want. I can easily teach the grammar and spelling rules without a program though.

We use Dictation Day By Day for that. It progresses in difficulty over the year.

Or I know a lot of the programs like Spelling You See, WWE, Writing Tales, and ELTL have dictation built in. Some do prepared dictation (which is what you're looking for, where they copy first and then it is dictated), whereas Dictation Day By Day is cold dictation.

We use Dictation Day By Day for that. It progresses in difficulty over the year.

Or I know a lot of the programs like Spelling You See, WWE, Writing Tales, and ELTL have dictation built in. Some do prepared dictation (which is what you're looking for, where they copy first and then it is dictated), whereas Dictation Day By Day is cold dictation.

Dictation Day by Day could be used as prepared dictation though, right? I don't need to get through large amounts per year. I could just pick and choose. I really like the looks of it!

I use Spelling Wisdom available at Simply Charlotte Mason for my 9th grader. I believe the series starts around 3rd grade and can go through 12th?? One book can cover two years. I think copy work and dictation is beneficial no matter the age, so we are planning to continue through the rest of high school.

Dictation Day by Day could be used as prepared dictation though, right? I don't need to get through large amounts per year. I could just pick and choose. I really like the looks of it!

It can be.  The goal is to get students to spell the words correctly every time, so there is a lot of spiral and repetition back to those same words.  Like, end of year 2 has a five day story about sheep.  They write the word 'sheep' several times, and each day will include words that they should have mastered previously.  Then it'll move on to a short story about birds and about a month later will start including the word 'sheep' again (along with any others introduced in that story).

It has worked marvelously well here as cold dictation.  In the middle and I think end of each book are also quotes, poems, and maxims that can be used for copywork/dictation, too.

I use Spelling Wisdom available at Simply Charlotte Mason for my 9th grader. I believe the series starts around 3rd grade and can go through 12th?? One book can cover two years. I think copy work and dictation is beneficial no matter the age, so we are planning to continue through the rest of high school.

This looks nice as well. I will probably continue through high school, especially with my daughter who struggles in this area.

Edited by sdobis

It can be. The goal is to get students to spell the words correctly every time, so there is a lot of spiral and repetition back to those same words. Like, end of year 2 has a five day story about sheep. They write the word 'sheep' several times, and each day will include words that they should have mastered previously. Then it'll move on to a short story about birds and about a month later will start including the word 'sheep' again (along with any others introduced in that story).

It has worked marvelously well here as cold dictation. In the middle and I think end of each book are also quotes, poems, and maxims that can be used for copywork/dictation, too.

Maybe I need to start at an earlier level so she wouldn't be overwhelmed by a lot of new words and punctuation. Then we could progress like you do. The content looks wonderful.