Menu

Keeping up with a subject

Night Elf

Dd is in Calculus 2 this semester and is taking Calculus 3 next Fall semester. I'm worried she'll be rusty by Fall. How can she keep the math fresh in her mind over the summer? She's currently got a B in this class and is studying hard to keep up that grade.

Calculus 3 does not really need much of what is taught in calculus 2 (which is mainly integration techniques).

It would be more beneficial to do a quick review of vectors/coordinate systems from precalculus.

I'd recommend looking over her notes during the week before the semester starts. The course will likely start with a review of vectors and curvilinear coordinate systems, because none of the students will have used this much during the past two semesters (at least), and some may never have covered these topics in their high school math.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Calculus 3 does not really need much of what is taught in calculus 2 (which is mainly integration techniques).

It would be more beneficial to do a quick review of vectors/coordinate systems from precalculus.

I'd recommend looking over her notes during the week before the semester starts. The course will likely start with a review of vectors and curvilinear coordinate systems, because none of the students will have used this much during the past two semesters (at least), and some may never have covered these topics in their high school math.

Oh that's good to know. I'll let her know.