Menu

Does CWP get more diverse in higher levels?

Blessedfamily

I went to buy the level 1 as recommended here (dd is flying through 2/a text and workbook) and the reviews were so-so. One reviewer said CWP isn't challenging- just the same type of problems over and over.

I looked at the sample and she was right about those, but a sample was just a page or two.

I forget what site it was on, but she said they have the same addition and subtraction problems and the child learns to just pick out the numbers and add or subtract without much thinking.

Is that an accurate assessment of the first level or 2? Does it get more varied later?

We started CWP at #4. I wish I had started earlier. Here are the topics for #4:

Whole Numbers

Addition & Subtraction of Fractions

Multiplication of Fractions

Tables and Graphs

Angles

Perpendicular and Parallel Lines

Area and Perimeter

Decimals

Symmetry

Solid Figures

Volume

FWIW, I have a degree in math and ds picks up on math very quickly. He found CWP challening and called them "evil". We completed 4,5,&6.

I went to buy the level 1 as recommended here (dd is flying through 2/a text and workbook) and the reviews were so-so. One reviewer said CWP isn't challenging- just the same type of problems over and over.

I looked at the sample and she was right about those, but a sample was just a page or two.

I forget what site it was on, but she said they have the same addition and subtraction problems and the child learns to just pick out the numbers and add or subtract without much thinking.

Is that an accurate assessment of the first level or 2? Does it get more varied later?

My daughter (8) is working on the CWP 3, which I think is more challenging the CWP 2. The point that they switch to two steps problems is when I think the level of difficulty increases. She worked through CWP 2 on her own. With level three, she usually stops to ask for clarification.

Two step word problems are introduced in level 3 (of the text/workbook). I agree with others that it is reasonable to do them one year behind the grade level. (For example CWP 2 with level 3 text/workbook.)

Edited by fractalgal
I wanted to clarify the level for workbooks.

Thank you all. Very helpful here and the previous thread that I had missed.:tongue_smilie:

ETA: In fact the last response in the thread you linked answered my question in exact detail! Thanks! I'll buy level2 (and not look at any more reviews before I do)

I should have seen that myself, but I've spent the last few days distracted by all the action on the general board.:drool5: Shame on me.

Edited by Blessedfamily

One last question. I wonder if the Intensive practice is necessary for a child who gets concepts quickly? Drill is definately kill here.

The workbook has been more than enough. I usually go through it and pick out problems that tackle things differently than the textbook did and just have her do those.

When we're ready for 2/b- which we will be in a couple of weeks- should I replace the workbook with intensive practice if she doesn't require much repetition?

I usually don't recommend purchasing CWP 1. The problems are all one step problems centered around calculation only.

The Intensive Practice books are more challenging than the workbooks so we use IP in lieu of the workbooks with my math adept eldest. For a child who gets concepts quickly, doing most problems from both would be overkill. However, you could do a bit of the workbook and then move on to the IP.

I usually don't recommend purchasing CWP 1. The problems are all one step problems centered around calculation only.

The Intensive Practice books are more challenging than the workbooks so we use IP in lieu of the workbooks with my math adept eldest. For a child who gets concepts quickly, doing most problems from both would be overkill. However, you could do a bit of the workbook and then move on to the IP.

Sound advice. Thank you.

Sound advice. Thank you.

I just wanted to add that when I spoke to a representative from Singapore Math, she recommended Intensive Practice over Challenging Word Problems as being more interesting and diverse.

She said that the Singapore Math CWP should correlate to the grade level, for example CWP 3 with level 3 workbook and textbook. I do see wisdom in doing the CWP a year behind as well.

It is a personal choice, and it depends on the child.

I just wanted to add that when I spoke to a representative from Singapore Math, she recommended Intensive Practice over Challenging Word Problems as being more interesting and diverse.

She said that the Singapore Math CWP should correlate to the grade level, for example CWP 3 with level 3 workbook and textbook. I do see wisdom in doing the CWP a year behind as well.

It is a personal choice, and it depends on the child.

For my dd I agree with her. I was going to do a year behind, but I won't now. DD just couldn't stand a bunch of 1 step word problems all alike. The level 2 looks like it would be better.

I think for next semester I will try Intensive Practice. I'm glad they have so many choices.