Menu

Anyone Familiar with Evan Moor Geography?

lorisuewho

I'm making my plans for next year and I'm deciding between the 7 Continents series or Daily Geography for my boys who will be in 5th and 6th grades.  They have spent the past few years learning to identify  the countries of the world and reading travel-type books.  Now I would like to work on more maps skills.  Would it matter much which of these Evan Moor series I chose?  They both seem good based on samples.

My kids used the Daily Geography series for years.  I had picked it up after they did IOWA testing and it had a section about map skills.  Daily Geography isn't just continents, it's more about how to navigate where you are.  The younger books have a lot of community items like going from a house to the school or park and how to follow directions given.  The world is there in the books, but it's not just maps of the world, but maps in general and how to read, interpret, and use.  My kids liked them, so they did the entire series.  It was definitely a 'fun' school activity.  I'm pretty sure they mapped our house and neighborhood more than once as an assignment which was great as they got older and wanted to walk to the park alone, etc.