Menu

what are your thoughts on identity protection services

SparklyUnicorn

I mean the ones offered by companies when their data is breached?  Last one we were offered wanted 100,000 pieces of info so we thought no way.  Now we just got another one due to a breach at the health insurance company.  This would be for our youngest son. I didn't look at the details yet, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not.  I'm really mad that they have that kind of information about an 11 year old.  They really don't need it and obviously they can't protect it.

• Like 1

I believe the biggest risk is on U.S. Government servers. Their Hardware and Software is based on technology from the 1960s.  Ask the 20 million + people who have/had Security Clearances about having their (very) personal data stolen.  In that case, I think the government offered them some kind of low cost service to try to restore their identity, if someone stole their identity. There was a breach at the I.R.S., also, but that isn't as clear in my mind as the one at the OMB. 

I suspect there's more security at PayPal and Amazon, than with U.S. Government servers,  but eBay was compromised, a year or 2 ago, and I changed my password at that time.

To answer your question, if there were some kind of inexpensive "insurance" to help one, if their identity was stolen, and it only cost 5 or 10 dollars, a year, I would look at it.

If the insurance is free, after your data has been compromised, I would certainly look at what they are offering, but I would not sign a Waiver of Liability. 

• Like 1