Menu

How much are you paying for car insurance?

mommyoffive

I didn't think that was what no fault insurance actually meant. And how can you be faulted when you were in front of the other car? Also makes no sense.

I wasn't faulted. No one is considered at fault by the law except for ticket purposes. It goes on both of our motor vehicle records, which is what my insurance company and my job go by. There is no notation of fault on my MVR, but neither was there on the other driver's.

I am not sure what we pay, but we have USAA and they just quoted us $6000/year for our soon to be 16 year old son. And that is with good student discount and drivers ed.

I always wondered why lots of boys his age aren't driving (or why their parents aren't pushing them to drive). Now I know why.

$6000! I'm scared. We have USAA. It was $150/month to insure my straight A daughter this year. That is on a 14yo car. We won't be adding another car so I'm hoping the car to driver ratio will help.

I have done captive agent (AmFam) and independent agent (my former AmFam agent who went independent). I prefer an independent agent just because there's more flexibility and I can keep my agent if I decide to switch companies.

Before I found our current agent (and before he left AmFam), we had an agent who left AmFam and we got dumped with some random agent that I did not care for. We also had difficulties with being able to leave the larger AmFam agent whose staff couldn't be bothered to try and help me get the claims office to subrogate my deductible. Good times.

I had AmFam for a long time. We have Travelers now and I pay $150 something a month, but that's two cars with Comp/Liab/UM/UIM/MP/rental and a $500 deductible plus my homeowners which seems expensive to me every month, but now looks quite cheap compared to others in this thread.

Ds has a few years still before he gets his license. Dh and I got married in our 20s and I remember when our auto insurance rates went down after he got past a certain age. I'm not looking forward to adding ds on to our policy.