Menu

French 2 for 9th grader

My daughter is taking French 1 from AIM/Debra Bell academy this year.  It meets one day per week, and she has 4-5 homework assignments due the following week.  The teacher just recently added a 45 minute conversational class (not graded) for speaking practice.  I enjoy Madame Barstow.  She's very laid-back and the class has been a refreshing change from the outrageous workload of Latin.   We will take French 2 in the fall.

Edited by foofoobunny

Thank you foofoobunny. We switched from Latin and started French 1 at the start of the 2016-2017 year with a tutor and found it a wonderful change too. I like the WTMA French class because it is 1h 15 mins twice a week but it is in the late afternoon and will block 2 afternoons in our schedule. I like morning online classes so my DD can do them while I am at work in the mornings. Barstow's class is 12:30 to 1:30 EST and only once a week so the flexibility is nice. On the other hand, I hope it is rigorous enough for one high school language credit . So many things to consider. Planning high school is totally different from middle school  :confused1: . Thanks again, Ann. 

How long does the homework take at AIM?

Not long.  30 minutes at most.  Some assignments are longer than others. It's usually just a few exercises in the book and/or workbook.  There are also a few fun projects throughout the year.

Edited by foofoobunny

Thank you foofoobunny. We switched from Latin and started French 1 at the start of the 2016-2017 year with a tutor and found it a wonderful change too. I like the WTMA French class because it is 1h 15 mins twice a week but it is in the late afternoon and will block 2 afternoons in our schedule. I like morning online classes so my DD can do them while I am at work in the mornings. Barstow's class is 12:30 to 1:30 EST and only once a week so the flexibility is nice. On the other hand, I hope it is rigorous enough for one high school language credit . So many things to consider. Planning high school is totally different from middle school  :confused1: . Thanks again, Ann. 

Yes, one time per week is not ideal; hence, the added 45 minute conversation class at a different time.  I wonder if she will add that again next year.  I suspect she will.  It is definitely rigorous enough for a high school credit.  I had talked with her before enrolling my daughter in the class.  I told her that I was searching for an online French 1 course that was an equivalent to a public high school French class.  We had gotten so bogged down with Latin that it was taking time from other classes, and I told her that I did not want that to happen with French.  What is great about Madame Barstow is that she teaches/taught high school French classes locally in her area so she is well aware of what is expected for a credit.  I am pretty strict with credits, and I have no qualms about giving a high school credit for this course.  Hope this helps.  

SaveSave

SaveSave

Edited by foofoobunny

Yes, one time per week is not ideal; hence, the added 45 minute conversation class at a different time.  I wonder if she will add that again next year.  I suspect she will.  It is definitely rigorous enough for a high school credit.  I had talked with her before enrolling my daughter in the class.  I told her that I was searching for an online French 1 course that was an equivalent to a public high school French class.  We had gotten so bogged down with Latin that it was taking time from other classes, and I told her that I did not want that to happen with French.  What is great about Madame Barstow is that she teaches/taught high school French classes locally in her area so she is well aware of what is expected for a credit.  I am pretty strict with credits, and I have no qualms about giving a high school credit for this course.  Hope this helps.  

SaveSave

SaveSave

Thank you Jennifer for taking the time to answer all my questions. The class really seems like a good match and I have sent her an email to see if she plans to add the conversation class for 2017-18. Maybe my DD will "see" yours in class in the Fall. :001_smile: Regards, Ann.