Menu

Henle Latin Second Year - syllabus?

Wondering if anyone ever gets through Henle's Second Year book?  I do see Mother of Divine Grace has a syllabus for $35.  I don't think Memoria Press goes beyond First Year.  They seem to have their own book on reading the Gallic Wars.  

Anybody familiar with any other syllabus/lesson plans for this?

Thanks!

Hi Faith,

My daughter and I went through Henle 2 several years ago using the Mother of Divine Grace syllabus. We thought it was very worthwhile since it included not only detailed daily plans (readings & translations, grammar lesson, chant charts, vocab, & exercises from Henle), but also weekly quizzes and regular exams, with answer keys. It's a fat book - almost 200 pages!

Henle 2 does start Caesar's Gallic Wars, but it's an adapted version instead of the original. That's the only real disappointment; my son had done Artes Latinae earlier, and they do Caesar in the original in their level 2 course.

It did work well, though. Dd was more than ready to tackle Latin authors afterwards, & she did well in AP Latin Vergil the following year.

One interesting note: I just saw that they're selling their Henle 2 syllabus as a "Latin 3" course now; the copy I have calls it "Latin 2." Probably a good thing; there's a lot in those first two volumes of Henle. :001_smile:

• Like 2

Hi Faith,

My daughter and I went through Henle 2 several years ago using the Mother of Divine Grace syllabus. We thought it was very worthwhile since it included not only detailed daily plans (readings & translations, grammar lesson, chant charts, vocab, & exercises from Henle), but also weekly quizzes and regular exams, with answer keys. It's a fat book - almost 200 pages!

Henle 2 does start Caesar's Gallic Wars, but it's an adapted version instead of the original. That's the only real disappointment; my son had done Artes Latinae earlier, and they do Caesar in the original in their level 2 course.

It did work well, though. Dd was more than ready to tackle Latin authors afterwards, & she did well in AP Latin Vergil the following year.

One interesting note: I just saw that they're selling their Henle 2 syllabus as a "Latin 3" course now; the copy I have calls it "Latin 2." Probably a good thing; there's a lot in those first two volumes of Henle. :001_smile:

Thank so much for this excellent review!  Ok, I feel encourage to get the MODG syllabus now.  Really, it seems to be the only thing out there, but it is good to know it is worth the money!

Thanks again!

I'm only familiar with MODG's Latin 1 & 2 "in a year" syllabus. It cuts down on the Henle Book 1 exercises to smoosh them into one year. It is a FAT book, spiral bound.

Memoria Press did put out a Henle 2 set recently. They have just lesson plans or the test/quiz book separately as well. I noticed the sample lesson plans suggest that the kids review vocab cards from First Form. I'm assuming you could just substitute vocab review from Henle 1, broken into sections?

• Like 1

I'm only familiar with MODG's Latin 1 & 2 "in a year" syllabus. It cuts down on the Henle Book 1 exercises to smoosh them into one year. It is a FAT book, spiral bound.

Memoria Press did put out a Henle 2 set recently. They have just lesson plans or the test/quiz book separately as well. I noticed the sample lesson plans suggest that the kids review vocab cards from First Form. I'm assuming you could just substitute vocab review from Henle 1, broken into sections?

Oh thanks!  I think I was confusing the different sets based on color or something!  Thanks for pointing that out.