Menu

Solid Grammar with Colorful Worksheets/Workbooks?

OrganicMom

Hi,

My son is 8, I'm loosing him with FLL book 1&2. I had plans to go to Hake level 3 next, I have the first 30 lessons, before its release soon. I would then do Hake Grammar all the way through with him. My daughter did FLL 1-3 and then went to hake 4 and will be going that route too.

I'm beginning to discover my sons learning styles though, and he does best with color, and something he can see visually as we talk about it, or involving a worksheet or workbook. I still may do hake, but I'm in search of other options that fit this description as an alternative to explore.

What is out there that is a solid grammar or grammar /writing course that is colorful?

On the side, we do turn our hake texts into worksheets. I have our printer cut the spine and punch holes in them. :)

Im on my phone, so I apologize for lack of editing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ABeka is colorful.

It's pace is a little slower than FLL for the same level in terms of the concepts it introduces.

I used it for a few years with one kid and was pleased, but my other kids would have been visually overwhelmed with the number of sentences to work through in each exercise.

• Like 1

BJU is colorful but I feel lacks enough practice

Voyages in English is also colorful. While a bit pricey, they are texts so can be used by both your kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABeka is colorful.

It's pace is a little slower than FLL for the same level in terms of the concepts it introduces.

I used it for a few years with one kid and was pleased, but my other kids would have been visually overwhelmed with the number of sentences to work through in each exercise.

Abeka is *slower* than FLL? Because I feel like FLL drags things out so much my kids are bored with a  topic rather quickly! Half of the first book repeats the definition of a noun!

I'm in a search for an English program for my dyslexic 9 year old and seriously loved Writers-in-Residence but I don't think he's ready for it just yet. I think it will be great in 5th grade for him, but maybe I'm wrong?

• Like 1

Abeka is *slower* than FLL? Because I feel like FLL drags things out so much my kids are bored with a topic rather quickly! Half of the first book repeats the definition of a noun!

I'm in a search for an English program for my dyslexic 9 year old and seriously loved Writers-in-Residence but I don't think he's ready for it just yet. I think it will be great in 5th grade for him, but maybe I'm wrong?

ABeka seems to focus on punctuation and practical skills early on rather than parts of speech so in that way it seems slower. But what it does, it does thoroughly.

For my dd who is not dyslexic but has a problem like dysgraphia and ADHD, we used the Just Write Series from EPS very painlessly. You wouldn't have to start with book 1, maybe 2 or three.

My friend with a truly dysgraphic DS is using the Paragraph Bookbseries from EPS.

Some people like Writing Skills.

• Like 1

They did have a publication date, yet. Although, I'm about to email again to inquire. :) there will be 100 lessons in all, and this level will contain a daily meeting book. The first lesson only contains 10 review set problems, and lesson 30 contains 25 problems.

Yes, all four levels will be available. Apparently it will consist of one instructor text containing all levels and seperate workbooks and answer keys for the respective levels. It is in typesetting now. Whee!

Oh my goodness, this is huge! So, somewhat independent for the child then!? Do you know?

• Like 1

Of that, I am unsure. Let's keep our fingers crossed! If you go over to the high school board, you will see a post titled GRAMMAR FOR THE WELL-TRAINED MIND? that was posted today referencing a new class as part of the online academy. Susan Wise Bauer responded and gave the information that I shared. I have also read other little bits from her this past week or two in other scattered posts. :D

• Like 1