Menu

Chemistry books/videos/course for me? Which of these MIT courses? Other?

Two of my children will be ready for Chemistry next year. I used Apologia the last 3 times, but I plan to use Zumdahl Introductory Chemistry and do some of the teaching. I would like to listen to/view some lectures about Chemistry to give me a better conceptual understanding. I won't be teaching a calculus based chemistry, but I did refresh my calculus skills last year teaching AP Calc to my son, so a calc-based is fine if it will meet my goals.

Would either of these MIT courses work and if so which would you recommend that I watch first?

Principles of Chemical Science https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/chemistry/5-112-principles-of-chemical-science-fall-2005/

Introduction to Solid State Chemistry   https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/materials-science-and-engineering/3-091sc-introduction-to-solid-state-chemistry-fall-2010/structure-of-the-atom/1-introduction-to-solid-state-chemistry/

I would also be interested in book titles, not textbooks-though a particularly helpful second text idea for me to go to if I have questions would be welcome as well.

I have a Stop faking it chemistry book checked out that I may start with.

Any other helpful videos for conceptual understanding would be great, too. 

Intro to Solid State Chemistry is the easier of the two; it is course number 3.091, meaning it is actually part of the Materials Science and Engineering program and is one of the most common courses non-chemistry majors use to satisfy the chem requirement.  It is a very rigorous intro chemistry course, and you can't go wrong with Professor Sadoway.  This is the course I took, and I can personally recommend both the course and the professor.

Principles of Chemical Science, OTOH, is 5.112, meaning it is primarily taken by students intending to major in chem.  It is listed as "an introductory chemistry course for students with an unusually strong background in chemistry. Knowledge of calculus equivalent to MIT course 18.01 is recommended."  When MIT said "unusually strong background", I always took that to mean you should have already aced that class at a less rigorous university, before attempting MIT's version.  Also, the fact that they recommend not just calculus, but 18.01 level calc, indicates to me that it is going to require a lot of upper level math.

In your situation, I would recommend 3.091.

Wendy

You might want to take a look at this thread.  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/526057-conceptual-academy-for-homeschoolers/?hl=%2Bsuchocki&do=findComment&comment=7138847

Also, the Bozeman Science chemistry videos on YouTube are very helpful.  Mr. Anderson explains things well.  He has a chemistry playlist and an AP chemistry video essentials playlist.