Menu

BJU math -- is it a merge of SM & Saxon?

profmom

I only have experience with teaching BJU math in 7th grade and up (but I have looked over 3rd-6th grade), and I only have experience with teaching Singapore in grades 1-4, (and my only encounter with Saxon was looking over Algebra and beyond),

BUT

based on that experience, ;)

I would say that BJU has very good conceptual teaching ( much better than Saxon, IMO), and would be more "American" in feel than most Singapore programs.  BJU is more mastery based (teaching on one topic at a time, with periodic review), and definitely not as spiral as Saxon (is anything as spiral as Saxon?).  Personally, *I* would find Singapore easier to teach than BJU in elementary simply because it would involve less required class time.  BJU in elementary has this story arc/characters running through each book, which is engaging, but Singapore is just about the math.  Both programs require teaching time to be done well, but I think that SIngapore *could* be more streamlined, if that is a consideration for you. 

Here's the write up at Rainbow on BJU; and here is one about BJU from Exodus Books.  Maybe some of those comparisons can help...

• Like 1

We used Saxon 1 and Levels 1-3 of Singapore, and I much prefer BJU for elementary (have used levels 1-5).  It definitely teaches conceptually, but with more practice and a more traditional scope and sequence than Singapore.  I agree that BJU does require a lot of teaching time, and for that reason we have moved away from it for 6th grade.  I think it is a strong program and it has a good bit of word problem work.  The format of the program changes in 7th grade, so I am re-evaluating it for the upper levels.  It only goes through pre-calculus, however, whereas Saxon offers calculus, if that is a factor for you.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

• Like 1