Menu

X-Post: Memoria Press K

mymommy1

I'm looking for feedback on Memoria Press Kindergarten. My questions or concerns are mainly due to cost and not wanting to overload K with book work.  I was very laid-back with the first two.  This DS is doing MP JrK and we like it.

1. Phonics: Do I need First Start Reading and the Core Phonics?  Would just FSR be enough?  What about OPGTR and Core Phonics?

2. Readers: Would Bob books work instead of the Primary Phonics Readers?  I like the American Language Series, but would like feedback on those.

3. Math: R&S?  Do I need the Numbers Books, too?

4. Copybook: This ds has good writing skills so far.  I don't want to overload him.  Would a notebook of writing name, address, calendar words, etc.  be just as good?

Thanks!

1. Phonics: Do I need First Start Reading and the Core Phonics? Would just FSR be enough? What about OPGTR and Core Phonics?

Yes, you want all of that.

2. Readers: Would Bob books work instead of the Primary Phonics Readers? I like the American Language Series, but would like feedback on those.

I am not familiar with Bob books but the primary readers follow along with the phonics and phonics guide.

3. Math: R&S? Do I need the Numbers Books, too?

We don't use MP/R&S math

4. Copybook: This ds has good writing skills so far. I don't want to overload him. Would a notebook of writing name, address, calendar words, etc. be just as good?

We don't use the copybook.

I make my own copywork--either from their books or scripture or poetry we like. As for math we are using right start for the time being. I like it in the lower grades because it's excellent conceptually. I'm not sold on it past level C...so will probably move to Math mammoth after this year and use the teachr's guides as needed for right start.

Yes to FSR. I actually don't like Core Skills. We use Adventures in Phonics instead, cheaper and covers more too. If you don't want writing with phonics then OPGTR with Bob Books would be fine. I love both, my kids prefer the gentyle writing in FSR A-D.

We use Bob Books instead of PP just fine. Love the ALS readers, even though they cost more.

Love R&S math, and the Numbers Books are just the right amount of extra practice. (I own MM and prefer R&S.)

If you want the Bible memory verse aspect, don't skip Copybook 1, or, even possibly consider SC Copybook 1 if you need something more gentle. Otherwise, Getty-Dubay A is good. As is Queens. As is Brookhouse Bible Copy work. As us Handwriting through Language Lessons. But all run approximately ~$12.

I've written tons of long winded posts on JrK and K on my blog with details using the curricula with my oldest. I'm currently using Kinder with my second daughter also.

http://www.CreativeMadnessMama.com/blog/tag/memoria-press-kindergarten should get you there...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My first child loves the idea of school and is a super Reader. My second child has the attention span of a butterfly and is a "spirited" child. In short, a totally different animal to teach.

Still using Adventures in Phonics add-in with Bob Books as I mentioned previously.

I'm using the material and added in a bit from Simply Classical 1 as well as Kindergarten for her. She is very slow to catch on and try reading but can do the seat work and handwriting as well as Math. We are not covering quite as much Enrichment with her as with her sister, but still do some. This child needs more time to focus on learning to love the idea of reading.

But as to changes. I haven't left the MP Kindergarten plans for her. As a matter of fact we did try something else and came back because nothing is as good for the earliest levels than what I have found here.

Next year, I will be doing Memoria Press Preschool with my son, in addition to MP 1st/SC2 with my now K daughter, and 4M with my now 3M daughter.

Edited by CherryBlossomMJ