Menu

Memoria Press Kindergarten

mymommy1

I'm looking for feedback on Memoria Press Kindergarten.  I've used 2nd Enrichment, so I'm pretty excited about the K enrichment and crafts.  I like the recitation.  My questions or concerns are mainly due to cost and not wanting to overload K with book work.  I was very laid-back with the first two.  This DS is doing MP JrK and we like it.

1. Phonics: Do I need First Start Reading and the Core Phonics?  Would just FSR be enough?  What about OPGTR and Core Phonics?

2. Readers: Would Bob books work instead of the Primary Phonics Readers?  I like the American Language Series, but would like feedback on those.

3. Math: R&S?  Do I need the Numbers Books, too? I haven't found a math curriculum I like for any of my boys.

4. Copybook: This ds has good writing skills so far.  I don't want to overload him.  Would a notebook of writing name, address, calendar words, etc.  be just as good?

Thanks!

I'm looking for feedback on Memoria Press Kindergarten. I've used 2nd Enrichment, so I'm pretty excited about the K enrichment and crafts. I like the recitation. My questions or concerns are mainly due to cost and not wanting to overload K with book work. I was very laid-back with the first two. This DS is doing MP JrK and we like it.

1. Phonics: Do I need First Start Reading and the Core Phonics? Would just FSR be enough? What about OPGTR and Core Phonics?

2. Readers: Would Bob books work instead of the Primary Phonics Readers? I like the American Language Series, but would like feedback on those.

3. Math: R&S? Do I need the Numbers Books, too? I haven't found a math curriculum I like for any of my boys.

4. Copybook: This ds has good writing skills so far. I don't want to overload him. Would a notebook of writing name, address, calendar words, etc. be just as good?

Thanks!

I haven't used Memoria press, but I have used OPGTR. We love it and it's worked extremely well for my daughter who is 5. We're close to the end of it now and it has been an incredibly effective phonics program for us. I added in some fun games along the way, but now we just do our lesson and she reads aloud to me daily.

As far as readers, we used the BOB books, Nora Gaydos readers, Usborne phonics books, the Basic Reading series books, and some of progressive phonics. My daughter would pick and choose from those readers and we tended to do one daily. Now she's reading level 2/3 books aloud. I liked having a variety of readers around though.

What did you do for a writing component if any? With my first two, I taught them to read, and they now read well. However, I neglected writing and spelling, and they are behind. I'd like to do something a bit different with this one.

We're using a mix of handwriting without tears and copywork. I may start cursive using don potters cursive resource. It's free on his website.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for feedback on Memoria Press Kindergarten.  I've used 2nd Enrichment, so I'm pretty excited about the K enrichment and crafts.  I like the recitation.  My questions or concerns are mainly due to cost and not wanting to overload K with book work.  I was very laid-back with the first two.  This DS is doing MP JrK and we like it.

1. Phonics: Do I need First Start Reading and the Core Phonics?  Would just FSR be enough?  What about OPGTR and Core Phonics?

2. Readers: Would Bob books work instead of the Primary Phonics Readers?  I like the American Language Series, but would like feedback on those.

3. Math: R&S?  Do I need the Numbers Books, too? I haven't found a math curriculum I like for any of my boys.

4. Copybook: This ds has good writing skills so far.  I don't want to overload him.  Would a notebook of writing name, address, calendar words, etc.  be just as good?

Thanks!

We are just finishing MP K and love it.  

For phonics you would need First Start Reading and Classical Phonics.  Core Skills Phonics is extra phonics worksheets that kids can do mostly independently.  FSR could possibly be enough. You can see the table of contents for the Core Skills books at Rainbow Resource. FSR incorporates writing into learning to read which I really like.  

For most of the year, only the red primary phonics readers and the first American Language Series, Fun in the Sun, are used. So you could start with buying only those if you wanted. The American Language Series are really great.  They give longer stories and seem a bit more grown up. You could substitute different ones for the Primary Phonics Readers.  

We liked the number books, but they aren't critical. 

The copybook covers one scripture verse a week, so it isn't a lot of writing.  They are nice, but you could easily create your own copywork.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

I really enjoyed using K enrichment but that is all that worked for us even though I had bought the full set since he learned to read on his own.  So I'm not sure about the phonics aspect. 

Readers:  I definitely prefer the Primary Phonics Readers over the Bob books but that is my opinion.

Math- We used our own math curriculum so we didn't use R&S

Copybook - I can't remember what they included in that book...sorry but I would imagine so.

HTH some...:-)