Menu

California Homeschoolers - Cal Grant Help

Jilly

Does anyone here have any experience with the Cal Grant as a homeschooler? The twins should qualify and we have submitted the GPA verification but their aid packages that we have received so far do not have it listed. I am wondering if there is something else we need to do or if it is too early in the process to have it listed yet. Any help would be appreciated. 

Are you aware that the UC and CSU financial aid is totally up in the air right now due to the state's looming budget deficit? It's been all over the news.

ETA: I would definitely call the Financial Aid office but unfortunately the reason it may not be listed could be that it won't exist next year :(

Edited by Crimson Wife
  • Like 1

Are you aware that the UC and CSU financial aid is totally up in the air right now due to the state's looming budget deficit? It's been all over the news.

ETA: I would definitely call the Financial Aid office but unfortunately the reason it may not be listed could be that it won't exist next year :(

My kids are most likely heading to private schools here in California. One of the schools we spoke to mentioned Cal Grants and how we should make sure we have it in order. I heard from someone else who went through the process and it turns out it is a nightmare for homeschoolers. Right now on my son's account it states that he has been awarded a Cal Grant but it has it going to a school we don't even have a decision from yet. For my daughter it hasn't even been awarded, it just says it is being processed. 

I am trying to not get too stressed about it especially if it might not even be in the budget next year. Still I think I will call the school my son really wants to attend and see if I can get some more information. 

I would definitely call the schools and ask what happens if the state scales back their financial aid & your children don't receive a Cal Grant. Will the school be able to step in and replace the lost funding with institutional aid?

I will make sure to ask this. I wouldn't want to be in a position where we can't afford school next year if they lose their grant.