Menu

Asperger's in an Adult

It would be hard to explain because 2 adults with Asperger's could be like night and day to each other. Some can make eye contact, some can't. Some have rituals, some don't. But generally, they would not notice social cues like they might keep talking even if the listener acts bored. Or they may take things too literally, not recognize sarcasm, that sort of thing. They might have a habit of saying anything and everything that comes to their minds, making them seem rude. Or they may have social anxiety (or even phobia) and barely speak or make eye contact. They would probably have some sort of obsession, most likely with a video game, tv show, music, animal, or hobby. They may be a pack rat or may not be. They will most likely have anxiety. They might just seem odd or eccentric. They may have a job that requires brains, but very little social contact.

No 2 Aspies are exactly alike! Perhaps it would be easier if you described your friend?

Misty about nailed it.

Additionally: by the time a person has made it to adulthood, if they are at all functioning in society, they have acquired coping mechanisms to deal with their inherent Aspieness.

As a good friend of mine says: Fake it till you make it!

asta

:iagree: With Misty. My hubby and son both have Asperger's, but they have different idiosyncrasies. Yet the underlying "manners" or for lack of a better word "the ways" they function all share a foundation. I would be happy to help if you listed some of what you are seeing in your friend.