Menu

Medical release of information?

Familia

Our adult college student needs medical testing done out of town tomorrow. Are there any form we can have him take with him to allow release of results to us? TIA!

He can sign a release indicating appropriate people who can have access to this information at the medical office.  They should have those and he can fill it out. 

• Like 1

At a new medical provider, he should be asked to fill out a form listing people to whom he authorizes release of his private medical information. You should instruct him to list your names there. You don't need to send anything - any patient can decide which people to list on his Patient privacy  form.

If the testing is ordered through his existing provider, who will receive the info to release to the patient, he will probably have to do the release through their office.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Ugh, quote not working...or I am not, a little stressful here.

TranquilMind, does he need to ask for a specific form, or is it one they will have him sign anyway.

regentrude, just thinking aloud...the PCP (here) is ordering the test at a hospital (there) in the morning. Is the release something he can do electronically or call?

Ugh, quote not working...or I am not, a little stressful here. TranquilMind, does he need to ask for a specific form, or is it one they will have him sign anyway. regentrude, just thinking aloud...the PCP (here) is ordering the test at a hospital (there) in the morning. Is the release something he can do electronically or call?

Does he have the release with the doctor's office that is ordering the test?

I highly doubt he can do that by phone or electronically, because of the legal issues involved; they will probably need his signature.

ETA: I have always received test results through my doctor's office, NOT from the testing facility.

If the doctor's office has an online portal, then he could simply give you his login, without needing to fill out the release form.

Edited by regentrude