Menu

Time between ed. psych. diagnosis and request for testing acc. from SAT (and stress issues)

Hello,

The woman who did the Woodcock-Johnson test for my ninth grader last August said that he should have an educational psychologist diagnose him around October of his  tenth grade year so that the time frame is correct for the ACT/SAT people to grant him an extended time accommodation.  Have any of you heard that?  Is the time frame correct?  She's assuming he'd be taking the test in spring of junior year and fall of senior year.

Below is the link to his story. 

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/623519-slow-in-decision-making-and-processing-skills-woodcock-johnson-test/

He has been so stressed with school lately and it shows itself in serious digestive troubles.  I am scaling back how much work I expect of him in an effort to make him a happy boy again.  I thought I had scaled back, but it wasn't enough and I was showing my disappointment and declaring, "We are so far behind!" too much.  Time for a serious attitude adjustment for me (and I thought I was doing better).

Jamberry77

• 2 weeks later...

Answering this with my very limited experience. DS was evaluated his freshman year. His diagnosis qualifies him for accommodations, which we applied for this year (sophomore year). The accommodations are good throughout high school.

That said, I believe I remember reading on the paperwork that for a MEDICAL diagnosis, the testing needed to be no more than one year from the request. Not sure if the digestive trouble you mentioned qualifies.

On another note, my son had an eval with an ed psych in middle school. They highlighted a lot of things that might be problems, but did not give him a diagnosis. The people who grant accommodations are looking for a diagnosis, and also proof that the student has benefited from accommodations in an educational setting. The eval he got in high school was with a psychiatrist who dealt specifically with that sort of thing.

ACT and the College Board require specific testing that is less than 3 years old. Go to their websites for the specific info. My DS received extra test taking time on the ACT, and we waited exactly 2 weeks for a response.

I never applied with SAT. Just the energy required to get the application put me out of sorts. I hear SAT has made the process easier in the last 6 months or so.