Menu

handheld steam cleaners - do they work on mildew?

ktgrok

Before I spend $40 or so on a handheld steam cleaner on Amazon, can you tell me if they actually work? I mainly want it to clean the grout in my shower, that gets mildewed and yucky. Does it work as well as using Tilex? I'd love to avoid the fumes if possible. 

I have no idea, but . . .

Have you tried straight white vinegar?? It smells terrible, but I figure it's very safe . . . and it works wonderfully . . . (I use a 80/20 mix of vinegar and Dawn soap . . . Stinks but works and is safe. . .)

I think I need stronger than that....so far the only thing that works is Tilex brand mildew cleaner. Bleach doesn't even really work well. 

I think I need stronger than that....so far the only thing that works is Tilex brand mildew cleaner. Bleach doesn't even really work well. 

Yoikes, that's tough!!

Do try vinegar though if you have some around, on a small section if nothing else. Especially with a little dish soap added in . . . It quickly annihilates the pink/red mold that likes to grow on the grout in my shower . . . Shocking how well it works, lol. I think the soap makes the vinegar stay in the spot and in contact longer . . .

Do turn on the fan and open the window . . . it really stinks up the place more than you'd think!

Yoikes, that's tough!!

Do try vinegar though if you have some around, on a small section if nothing else. Especially with a little dish soap added in . . . It quickly annihilates the pink/red mold that likes to grow on the grout in my shower . . . Shocking how well it works, lol. I think the soap makes the vinegar stay in the spot and in contact longer . . .

Do turn on the fan and open the window . . . it really stinks up the place more than you'd think!

I do have that pink/red stuff too! on the bottom. But that bothers me less than the yucky black mildew. Will try it. 

• Like 1