Menu

6th Grade Science for the creative minded

battlemaiden

We've always used a variety of resources for science K-5, then bridge to a more rigorous overview of science in 6th prior to starting the General, Physical, Bio, Chem, Physics cycle with Apologia. My current rising 6th grader is that anomaly member of the brood that does it all different. :D

I'm not usually the homeschooler who caters to each child's temperament, HOWEVER, this child has crazy strong wiring. LOL. She is the artistic child...taught herself to cable knit (this week) from a book. She's not one to be pushed, but she can be led into math and science if it is presented well. Our normal BRIDGE science year has never been pleasant (and traditionally I've been okay with that) but I need something else with this one.

Any ideas? Mahalo.

I don't know about specific curricula per se, but what if she were encouraged to use a more traditional science notebook like we do in college/professional labs? She could record what she is learning in detailed drawings, with written explanations. There are anatomy coloring books that would probably strike her fancy. She doesn't get out of learning it, but she is able to present what she learns in a format familiar to her.

Another option would be for her to research the science behind some of her art. Pigments to learn geology, sheep/alpaca/llama for biology (yarn arts), astronomy (Van Gogh's starry night), fireworks for chemistry, paper art for botany, planes and air shows for physics.

• Like 1

I don't know about specific curricula per se, but what if she were encouraged to use a more traditional science notebook like we do in college/professional labs? She could record what she is learning in detailed drawings, with written explanations. There are anatomy coloring books that would probably strike her fancy. She doesn't get out of learning it, but she is able to present what she learns in a format familiar to her.

Another option would be for her to research the science behind some of her art. Pigments to learn geology, sheep/alpaca/llama for biology (yarn arts), astronomy (Van Gogh's starry night), fireworks for chemistry, paper art for botany, planes and air shows for physics.

These are great ideas! Thanks. I think I'm going to put her through the volumes of Lyrical Life Science.  And I'll supplement with the coloring books. She is passionate about colors, so the pigment research is brilliant. 

Thank you!

• Like 1