Menu

How to prepare middle schooler for PSAT/SAT/ACT?

Unless you are planning them to take one of the tests soon, I wouldn't do anything. If you are really worried, you can do a practice test at home, but keep in mind that the kids improve a lot at this age just by covering more math and reading more books. I think averages come to 50 - 100 points per year, and it might be per subject.

• Like 1

Prep her by laying the foundation that these tests are "games" that matter - they do NOT in any way, shape, or form define who the student is as a person, but they do matter for people (organizations) who can only understand numbers.

Has she taken any kind of bubble-test at all, ever? If not, there's no harm (at least in my mind / for my own kids) in doing an annual year-end test, just to establish the normalcy of it; you don't have to share scores with anyone at all. (In our house, we test annually, and they are "ice cream tests" - you do your best, chuckle with mom after the test at the "weird" questions, and everybody gets ice cream to celebrate the year's end & doing your best. Nobody (except mom) has ever cared about the scores, which (of course) come months later; we've done this for several years now. My personal favorite part are the "weird" questions the kids choose to share with me.)

Eh....*thinking here*  I've already started talking to them about it, explaining to them what it was and how there are 2 different tests (ACT and SAT) and what the differences are.  We're not going to bother with the PSAT, I don't think.  We are pretty set on just starting at community college, because I am fanatically anti-student loan debt.    

For part of their English this semester, I printed off a worksheet of SAT vocab questions and they worked through them.  Then, I checked their answers and discussed them.  They got a surprising number of them right.  And now I'm not even sure if that was useful, because they just changed the SAT.

I also signed up for the ACT Question of the Day - you put in your email address and they email you one practice question every day.  So, I guess I can't say we haven't started any prep for it, but I don't really plan to do testing prep until the summer before.  I told them the summer before they take the ACT or SAT, we're spending the whole summer preparing for it.

And my kids are like yours - they've never taken a standardized test before, but when I give them practice questions, they actually get some correct!  (Lol)  So, I think by the time they reach that age, they'll be fine.