Menu

Have you read anything about abnormal newborn reflexes...

MicheleB

Being an indicator of a future autism diagnosis?

I was Googling last night because I remembered for some reason that my 9yo ds had a somewhat abnormal grasp reflex as an infant. His right hand always grasped immediately, but his left hand didn't unless you coaxed several times.

Now that I'm seeing all these "issues" in him, this thought is intriguing. Has anyone else experienced this or seen research on it?

(I hope this is an okay topic to put here....)

Guest Indy Rose

You might want to read the book by Glenn Doman "What to do about your brain injured child". It explains alot about brain development, has a chart where you can take a look at the steps of neurological development (you might see some gaps in your child's development). Our son also was/is much weaker on his left side and has several other motor and behavioral issues.

Rose

Guest Indy Rose

Doman would say that since your son needed oxygen at birth, he had a period of a few seconds or minutes that his brain didn't get enough oxygen, thereby causing a brain injury. While it may be slight and may not show up on an MRI (according to Doman's book and the class my husband took at their Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential, our son is severly brain injured, even though an MRI never showed any thing), there is probably some part or parts of your son's brain that are not functioning properly. Some of their home-based therapy would probably help your son. We have been doing it for a little over two years now and have noticed more significant gains with this therapy than with any conventional PT, OT, speech, etc. that we tried. Reading the book will probably explain your son to you! When we read it, we almost felt like it was written about our son!

Rose

had some delays in developing infant reflexes and held on to some of them for too long of a period of time. My mom, who was a physical therapist many years ago, figured it out first. My dd was born on her due date and had no apparent physical issues at birth or early in infancy with a normal delivery and normal nursing relationship.

Today she is a very bright child (reading, math several grade levels ahead) but physically she is just a little slower than what is normal but still within normal limits. She walks slowly, barely ever runs, can tie shoes but is very slow at it. She has a terrible time carrying things as she can't manage to hold on to things. She also talks very slowly and quietly.

She is a sharp contrast to her older sister (loud, talkative and extremely developed physically) but most of the time you wouldn't notice issues with dd5. I started doing some reading on the reflex issue when my mom first noticed it but I didn't see what the possibilities were for her as she got older.